• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Went out Yesterday and got a couple of perch during the afternoon. Right around sunset I caught two walleyes but they were both too small to keep. I did see some larger approaches on the flasher but only nibbles from those. A small glow jig and crappie minnow was the bait of choice over a rainbow chub this time. Has anyone found bait that the eyes in neutral mode will hit on Forest Lake?

I'm in about 15 feet of water on lake three and have been consistently getting a few walleyes most weekends in this depth. Can't wait to get back out there Tonight and Tomorrow for more. The ice is really getting thick. It's around two feet under my shack.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tunrevir

• Fuzzbient

• Red Miller

• jpaulson

Let me know how you did tonight im going to head out there tommorrow, got side tracked to a different lake tonight to meet some friends and fishing was not very productive there (pelican lake) just a few nice gills, some small crappies and a small largmouth..

walleyes are still biting at or near dark. The key to finding these fish is getting away from the noise and commotion, set up early and wait quietly. Most of my fish are now coming in the 13-15' range with some crappies thrown in the mix to keep a person busy and a few pike during the day. rainbow chubs and fatheads have been the bait of choice for me lately. Good luck out there!

Tunrevir~

Hi to all fellow FMers. New to Forum, long time reader of posts.

Thought it was time to put my two cents worth in. A quick heads up for anyone with permanent houses. there has been some theft/vandalism on lake two last weekend. Mine was spared but they hit about 6 or 7 houses. Not much ya can do about it, but sure is frustrating. Like to meet some of you sometime. Nice to read all the reports and see that theres others who enjoy having perms. Just got my shack out last weekend in the hole on two getting lots of small crappies with the ocassional keeper. heading out today with my son. hope to get some bigger ones.

Well welcome aboard weedline, im no veteran here but i love reading the posts and reports. The more the marrier in my eyes!

Welcome weedline troller! This east central forum has really grown in the last year...that's good to see...you'll find there's some real decent folks on this site. FL SNIPER

Thanks guys. Wow what a beautiful day! lots of Crappies on vex but it was a really light bite,too nice I guess. they were doing pretty good for Northerns in shallow, 6 to 10ft. But the scrambled Eggs and Ham were good on the stove!

Weedline troller, welcome to the forum! I have had a few run ins with some of as I call them, "Yahoos" on the lake more out to party and thrash things then to fish. It is too bad it has to be this way but every year there are shacks broken into out on this lake and many others. Things you can do to keep your shack safe, don't leave a thing out there that is of value to you, leave the door open or readily opened so they don't crush a corner looking for the good stuff, keep an eye out for party shacks or shacks that leave lots of debris or have frequent comings and goings but not much fishing related activity. If you observe this call the tip line and let them know. Nights where there is a steady snowfall seem to be far worse then cold clear nights. Get to know the people around your shack, shoot the bull know which ones are there to fish and the ones that aren't. This is beginning to sound like a neighborhood watch program! My shack hasn't been broke into yet but the side took a shot from something or someone about bumper high. Good to see your on FM and hope the fishing goes well for you!

Tunrevir~

My shack got hit earlier this winter by those creeps. There really wasn't much worth breaking in for but they did take a $2 bag of hooks, an old hand auger that was in need of replacing, and a couple of old tip ups. The biggest pain about it was having to repair the break-in damage. I now expect anything I leave out there will get stolen so I take it all back home with me at the end of the fishing day.

Went back out last night for eyes and got skunked other than a nice perch. Winter slow down? I'll keep trying for those tasty critters.

Was out tonight also and had little to no luck... Trying to get out there during the day to mess with some northerns and scout around a little.

Slow weekend for me. We moved the shack and found a few very small perch. I also caught a 5-6 inch eye. We did see a few nice ones on the camera but they weren't interested. Was excited to hear Mike's got shiners in but they were small emerald shiners. Anyone ever have any luck with these?

I always thought it would be nice to have a permanant shack but it sounds like it may come at a cost. Anyway, Thanks to Tunrevir for the all the great info you provide in this forum. Its greatly appreciated for sure. We had some action on Sat. early. Lots of small crappies, a couple of pretty nice slabs, a 5# pike and a 16" walleye. Sunday morning and evening were slow with the usual spirts of crappies. Got cut off by a northern trying to get my line up before he hit it. Guess he was quicker than me. We were fishing in 15 foot near some deeper water. Had fun watching the northerns beat up my camera. Thanks again Tun...

Hello FMers. I haven't posted in quite some time but I need a little help on lake one. We are catching a lot small crappies but the walleyes are few and far between. I've been hitting a bunch of different depths but can't get a consistant bite. Has the most consistant bite been on shorelines or on the reefs? Any help will be appreciated.

Glad to hear that you got into some fish Red. J I sent you a e-mail earlier as well. Musky joe, nice to hear from you. The lake has been up and down with the weather. I couldn't buy a walleye during the cold front but both before and after was able to catch some fish. The pike have been really active on the lake with the recent warmup and appear to be pretty hungry for any little morsel they can get. The most consistent depths have been in the 15' range give or take a foot or two. The "reefs" as you call them and the outside weedlines are producing equally as well. The best bite is early evening into dark and again early morning into sunrise. Chances are, if you are finding crappies there are walleyes nearby. I like to search for areas that have no traffic and no real neighbors as far as shacks. The shallow fish seem to spook easily with traffic so keep that in mind. there are nicer crappies to be had along with the walleyes but if there is too much activity in any one area they will shy away. I have found that the harder bottoms and the transition areas from sand to muck produce better then a mucky bottom or plain sand flat. A quick and simple way to test bottom content is to pop a couple holes and use a 25' metal tape measure to feel the bottom. Find an area that goes from mucky to sandy in a few short yards and this will clue you into some fish holding areas. The nice thing about the tape measure method is you will feel any gravel areas that could be potential hotspots later in the year before the season closes. Good luck out there. Hope this helps.

Tunrevir~

I am new here. My house is on 2nd lake. Alot of very small crappies. Is willow point done with walleyes for a while? It seems to be pretty quit over there. Any help for a location for them?

Welcome aboard KJ. I can't help you with the fishing reports. I have a 6 week old at home so the auger has been staying pretty dry lately.

KJ welcome to the board! There will be less walleye activity over in that area just due to the traffic and noise of all of the people coming and goin. You might want to look at the southeast side in 16-18' of water just to the east of the deep hole. There is a shallow hump which has a gravel bottom that dumps off into a weedy flat. Poke around in that area a bit and you might find some activity.

Tunrevir~

Thanks guys. I am in the south side of 2 in that 32 foot hole.

So just go a little south east from there to that depth?

That's good advice for finding walleyes that Tunrevir posted. You can find them on three in those depths. The trick is getting them to bite. They're down there and you'll see them but you may have to downsize the lure/bait to get them interested. They're still catchable but more of a challenge right now. Make sure you get set up and drilled well before sundown so that things are as quiet as you can get them before they start to bite. They are spooked easily in the shallow clear water. Constant jigging seems to bring them in but you have to jig really light when they approach.

I've been seeing something swim through on the flasher after dark that is suspended at around 10 feet in a 15 spot. Not sure what they are since I've yet to get one to bite. I'd figure if it was crappies they'd hit the lure. Maybe it's pike or muskie patrolling.

Hi all, i'm new here as well, just moved to the wyoming area in the last year. I was on lake 2 this past weekend in 19feet and kept seeing marks at around 10feet. I finally got one to bite on a ratso and it was a nice 11" crappie. That was the only thing I got though.

anybody gotten the seldom slab crappie this year? was at the bait shop on 8 and seen some pics. 15.5" was the biggest i seen. post some pics of any pigs!!

They are out ther Gemneye, just gotta find a spot or two that will produce. I assume you are talking crappies and we have seen a few over the thirteen mark this year but lots of sorting in between fish. Look for some common traits to the areas you fish and then find the same thing away from folks and you may very well hit paydirt.

Tunrevir~

we caught a 14+" but problly 150 8" or smaller that got thrown back before it.We have done real good in numbers, but not so well in keeper size.

yes, I'm talkin crappies. it's always fun to get into the big crappies like up on URL. hoping to get out there soon and hit some walleyes, but i don't have the patience to only get 3 or 4 in a night, so i just like pounding the crappies.

That is the way it is in the deep holes. A ton of 7-8" but nothing else. Moving to shallower water tomorrow.

Seek and ye shall find. There are alot of larger fish in the lake but you just have to find some of the quieter areas. I too am moving my house as the crappies have moved on and the yahoos are driving me nuts! We caught walleyes right up till this last cold front and I am hoping to pick a few more off once the move is complete. Key on transiton areas between deep and shallow water with shallow gravel flats nearby and you should still be able to pick off some eyes and a few crappies to boot if you get into the right depth range. The pike will keep you busy in the meatime. Towards the end of the month the shallow weed remnants will start to pick up again for eyes near these same gravel areas. Think, prespawn, staging, food, cover and spawning and that should get you into the right spots. Crappies are going to be moving from shallower weed edges to the mainlake basin areas and staging along the remaining weed edges and out over the basin but oftentimes they will be near the same afforementioned areas just before iceout. Hope this helps, good luck out there!

Tunrevir~

Do you think the big fishing contest later this month will influence the fish into moving away from the noise back into lakes two and three or will it not scare them?

Originally Posted By: Fuzzbient
Do you think the big fishing contest later this month will influence the fish into moving away from the noise back into lakes two and three or will it not scare them?

They are also having snowmobile races Feb 9th and 10th.

The races on first are going to affect the fish for the day or so after the race, just as they will be affected by the drilling of thousands of hole for the contest. Will they migrate between the lakes to 2&3. A small fraction may just due to the traffic but I doubt it. You have to fish each one of these basins as a seperate fishery. Traffic between spots on the lake will have more of an effect on the fish behavior but you also have to look at decreasing O2 levels as the weeds die back and the prespawn staging areas prior to ice out. The activity on the lake will definately play a role in the bite on 1st lake in the next couple weeks but it won't affect the other 2 basins other then the pass through traffic you might get before and after the contest and sled races. My .o2.

Tunrevir~