• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hybrid vehicles, who has one?

John Mickish

Question

The wife and I are looking at getting either a Prius or an Escape hybrid. Does anyone here have any first hand knowledge of either? We are kind of leaning toward the Escape right now. How long are the batteries supposed to last on these things?

I am glad that you made the statement about buying a hybrid being a statement against foreign oil.

I believe that to be the main reason to own a hybrid or to switch to E-85. They do not save as much money as buyers would like and rarely do they perform the same.

I agree because it would be one of my reasons. I would use domestically made fuel or hybrid to reduce my use of fuels in general. As many know, most of the US oil comes from Canada and S. America. Unfortunately in our worldwide economy it still is effected by world oil markets.

Unfortunately I would want my hybrid to be at least comparable to the extra investment, so that is why I pass on it. Yes it is making a statement, but its not a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

Also, the prius has only been around since '01 (maybe late '00) so battery changes should start coming up.

how do you heat an electrical vehicle in the winter and keep the windows clear, there is no coolant to heat??

Can't speak to other hybrids, but the Ford Escape does have a 4 cylinder gas engine. When the defroster of A/C is on the gas engine runs.

There is a dc/dc converter from the battery to the electric traction motor, this conversion creates a great deal of heat and needs to be cooled, there are two separate cooling systems, one for the engine, one for the converter which is used to provide cabin heat when running on electric power.