• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Northlander, It's almost poutin time!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• SKIPPERS KID

• ripstick

• JAR JAR

I don't know if I will make it on the 29th being it's the wife's b-day but I may be able to finagle my way out due to the fact I just bought her a week in Cancun for Christmas and her B-day present smirk.gif

Jar Jar

Sounds like a lot of fun. Pout are always fun to catch. I won't be able to make it, but I will be on winnie that weekend. Good luck.

UMDSportsman,

If your at Winnie that's just as good as far a Pout goes. If you find the right spot you could be bringing them home by the buckets full. If that turns out to be the case I'll help you clean them.

I also see it's your birthday. Here's wishing you a very happy Birthday!!!!

BD110-

Actually I have a really funny story about pout on Winnie. A couple years ago my dad wasn't paying attention and a fish pulled his rod down the hole. This was in the morning. In the afternoon he realed the rod that was in the same hole to check the bait. There was a bit of a pull on it and he came up with line on the hook. He pulled up one end and caught a pout. He pulled up the other end of the line and got his rod back. I still can't believe that he got the fish, and the rod back.

Thanks for the Birthday wishes!!

Ripstike, and woodie and I got out this afternoon and I got 2 pout and 2 walleye's one keeper. The pout are in and should be a great week of pout-in smile.gif. See ay there.

Ya just dont tell where you were. That spot is too small to hold any amount of people.

Good to hear there is good ice there though.

By the way you were too deep. grin.gif

Wow to Deep crazy.gif I did OK and I will be out all week as well and as for the spot well I now to well I showed you that spot years ago smirk.gif. By the way how deep was I and what is to deep did some one tell you where I was shocked.gif. I will just have to blind fold the next one i take to the spot smirk.gif.

What's the water conditions there now? I was going to hit it on Saturday but decided against it.

Anyone know the ice conditions off Boyscout? Maybe get there a litte early on the 29th for some walter action?

Jar Jar

Hey Tom,

I never tried the blind fold thing. I'll give it a shot if you promise to play nice. grin.gif

I'm planning on heading out tomorrow after work in the a.m. and can fish into the evening if anyone will be out on any of the area lakes.

Jar Jar lots of guys fishing Boyscout.

Skipperskid dont confuse the spot you showed me years ago with the one you were fishing. They are 2 different monsters. The spot you showed me is usually dead in the winter. Dont ask me why but I have yet to get a eye there.

You were 1-2' too deep. My River Scouts told me so. You took about 5 steps too many and were up river to far. wink.gif

By the way get off your lazy booty and get your Otter out! Im sick of hearing how heavy it is. frown.gif

If Ripstick, Woodie and I can pull our houses half way across the bay you can pull yours 35'. grin.gif

Maybe we need to get you on Cheffreys work out plan?

He would crumble Northlander, I had Shiner yanking it all around Chequagamon yesterday. Musta put on a mile easily. With all the gear, beer, and propane on top of my 150#+ house. We were easily at 200#. Skipper's kid, you want to fish out of a MANS house? smile.gif We'll put you in the routine.

I think i am darn close to your plan! That 4x8 x 5.5' tall house isn't to light! 5/8 on bottom and 1/2" on the sides....oomph. also 3 2x4x8 runners..... Which sometimes help...but sometimes hurt! I don't mind it with the wheeler! Northlander, if he was 5' to far out, i was 8' out to much! Son of a gun! No wonder i didn't mark a darn thing on the LX5....sheesh!

Woodie have you checked your ducer lately. I think I saw Ripstick put some sandwich wrap on the bottom side of it. wink.gif Do you need some LX-5 lessons or what?

Seriously Woodie you guys were a bit too deep for the dusk eye bite. The pout seem to like it in a bit shallower and you can read your baits better in less current shallower.

Or move down another 25 yards and get on the edge of the drop and try that.

I will be out in the after noon with my Dad and I will make sure I am not to deep shocked.gif. I hope I did not forget where I was the other day I hope we get some good walleye and pout well this will be the first time fishing on the Ice for my dad in 13 years so it should be fun smirk.gif. He should have fun and hope they will Bite on his line smile.gif.

Quote:

I had Shiner yanking it all around Chequagamon yesterday. Musta put on a mile easily. With all the gear, beer, and propane on top of my 150#+ house. We were easily at 200#.

You're not kidding! That thing goes 200# easy! I walked that thing all over with Cheffery beside me carrying the 1/2 gallon minnow bucket doing 12 oz. curls grin.gif I figured it was the least I could do since he drove, let me listen to the Pack AND got skunked!

Skipper's kid, you want to fish out of a MANS house? We'll put you in the routine.

Tom we just got home and I do not have a problem pulling my stuff But as we get older we need to lighten the load smirk.gif. But we had a great night on the river the walleyes went good for 2 hours and the pout started good and then we had to go home and eat and see Deb so I will be out tomorrow as well. I think I have the honey hole now for a couple more days smile.gif.

Hit the river last night, dont ask where because Im not telling, and got a few eyes and more importantly some decent pout. I got 6 total. They arent in thick yet so hopefully by Poutfest time we will still have good numbers of them in the river.

Thanks for the updates, Northlander. Hope to take my 80-year old dad out this weekend - walleyes & pout will keep him happy! Care to share the depth you're fishing? Is it 12'-16' or is that too deep?

Hey Northlander, where were you fishing? tongue.gif jk

I hope to be out somewhere tommorrow evening, anyone else gonna be out?

Are pout fishable in the morning and all day long or just in the evening? How late in the season does the pout run go?

I have never fished them before but would really like to give it a try. -Thanks for the help

Quote:

Hey Northlander, where were you fishing?
tongue.gif
jk

grin.gif

I'm planning on fishing the poutfest and I will try to behave myself wink.gif

Ran I know its hard but you will be ok. I hope the pout stick around that long. I think we should be able to bang a few.

Quick I will be out tonight and off and on thurs and friday. Maybe a spot close to where you called me from in the mornings and farther up in the afternoons.

Heartman you never know. It depends on where you are on the river. I like to pop a few holes in the channel area and then pop some on the ledge coming up shallower until I find 8' of water. Some times they are shallow and others they are deeper. With this warm weather we are getting its perfect weather to hole hop.

Are the pout fish that come in from the lake to spawn, or are they resident river fish. If they are resident fish I dont know how I would feel about eating them.

They are fresh from the Big lake. They come in and spawn and are back to the lake they do not stay long smirk.gif. But they are fun to catch just keep a hook remover close so you do not have to hold them and take a hand towel with you to wipe the slime off you hands smile.gif.

Chadwick if your eating fish out of the local lakes they are just as bad as the river fish.

I have been eating St.Louis River fish for 40 years and Im semi normal. crazy.gifgrin.gif

Skipperskid man up and grab them pout. They are great hand to fin combat. wink.gif