• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Shed Hunting

DeanoB

Originally Posted By: shedfreak
I dont use any man made items to assist me with finding sheds, nor do i walk in any state parks or forests. ALl of my walking is done on public hunting land, public hiking trails, public ski trails, I have never broken the law in order to find a shed. I dont know if that post was accusing any one of us, or myself of doing that, but i definitely take offense. I put in hundreds of hours scouting every year before the antlers start to fall, and i put on another couple hundred looking for them. 5 days a week, 5+ miles a day from early december to Late May, you do the math, I put my time in.

why not state forests? those ARE public grounds. taking sheds from state parks is illegal, but state forests are fair game and great places to look.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shedfreak

• jkcmj

• bowhunters

• ChompChomp_YANK

yeah i was having a brain fart. They are fair game. Im not to far from the superior state municipal forest. I have never walked it , but I know a lot of ppl do, and they definitely have had some luck!

was out yesterday, I saw four bucks all will both sides on still. One was a really nice ten pointer. I'll be going back to check on that area until I find um

Question for all you shed hunters......

I was out yesterday and found two bedding areas with tons of trails heading in all directions.

First Question: Do Bucks bed with Does?

Last: Do I just follow the trails hoping to find a shed?

I've never aggressively hunted for sheds but I can feel that it is addicting.

Mike

Found my 4th yesterday.

I find little bucks bedding with does all the time, but usually the bucks will be seperate, but often in small bach groups so you can find many antlers in the same area.

I decided to take a photo of all the antlers I've found in Iowa in the last couple years. The ones on top the couch were found in the Decorah area, the ones on the seat area from the Cedar Rapids area, and the ones on the floor were found in SW Iowa on a friends land. 7 sets amongst them. A total of 40 in Iowa so far plus a few in MN and WI.

Iowashedsfrom2005-Feb2008002.jpg

Nice collection! Some wicked brows on the dark one on the couch. I need to start going out and looking... been too busy fishing!

cudos to you man, that is alot of walking. I am so jealous of your collection I am gonna try to put more time in this year, do u find many sheds laying by beds, food sources or on trails. how many times do you cover the same area?

75% of mine come from bedding areas. Those looking in farm country likely find more in the food plots, but most locations I look don't have agriculture areas nearby.

The dark set with the nice brow tines were found last year half buried in snow in the 1st week of Febuary.

95864-R1-09-11A_010.jpg

95864-R1-05-7A_006.jpg

up to six so far this year. my first year looking and found 3 over 60 inches already

awesome, THANKS!... I like your house by the way. Trying to get my basement to look something like that. Its gettin there.

excellent finds "bowhunter"

well we went back up to carlton this wkd to do some looking. 3 of us looked for parts of three days. i personally didn't find any antlers, but my buddy found 3. including a really nice matching set. the antlers layed only one foot from each other. this is only the second time we've found antlers laying right next to each other. i have a really cool trail cam pic of the matching set buck. the pic is from the dec. storm where we got about 12" of snow. there is snow on the antlers, its pretty cool.

conditions were not very favorable to looking for antlers. they just had recieved about 3" of snow and then another 2" while we were up their with some heavy winds as well causing drifting. i think a lot of antlers are now burried in the snow. i think i'm done looking until the snow settles some. here are the pics from last wkd. enjoy.

cj.

>

>

>

>

Jumbo-Whereabouts in Carlton have you been looking? You don't need to tell me specifics, just wondering since

carlton is where I do all of my shed hunting too.

I found 2 more last weekend, a small 6 point set, thats 6 for the year. As far as asking whether or not its the right time to go out.... Personally i say,,, why wait? Bucks drop from november sometimes into may... Unless you walk private land and have it all to yourself, i say might as well start In December, if anything, you atleast see whats out there and where they are traveling. In the past I usually waited until the end of february, or beginning of March.. This year I started in December. So my way of thinking is I have 6 sheds I honestly believe I wouldnt have right now had I decided to wait.

i would agree the earlier the better. i walk all private land so i dont got any competion, but i think it is easier to see them sitting on top of the snow my self. once they get barried it get tough to find but i just like walkin through the woods and seeing were the deer are hanging out

Eatsleepfish,

We have a cabin and about 300 acres of land about 5 miles south of carlton. We spend almost all our time looking for antlers on our property. We generally have a good herd a deer that winter in our area.

I would also agree that the earlier you look the better, plus the antlers are clean and have good color. The neighbors are feeding the deer near our cabin and they said all the bucks that were coming in have lost there antlers as of about a week ago. But it differs in all area's.

I'm still waiting for the snow to settle a bit. I believe many of the antlers in my area are covered by snow.

Good luck to all, keep us posted.

cj

I just shot threw this thread and did not see anything in my quick review, but do any of you guys use dogs to find sheds?

Ok heres some pics like you asked for. Except for about a handful of these, all were in the last couple years. There are a few i have now that arent on the picture, but you can get an idea. No i didnt find the elk shed, that one was actually purchased at an antique shop. Scores 153"

003-8.jpg

004-7.jpg

Here are some pics from last year. I may have put some of these pics up last year, not sure though. The pics are of 7 antlers we found in two days of looking in the middle of May. The woods were getting green, but we still found them. Two are matching sets, and 3 are solo finds. The other picture is a display of solo antlers at our cabin going from smallest to biggest, our matching set finds are on the other wall, sorry I don't have a pic of those.

Hope you enjoy.

CJ

>

>

>

>

thats quite a haul for ANY month, let alone MAY! I found 4 last may, but never more than one at a time. It definitely is greening up by then!

those are some nice shed you got. thanks for the pic. it passes time while sitting in school.