• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Boats

johncolson

Yep!! If it checks out ok, he should purchase that one.

What do you have for a boat??? Did you get the e-mail I sent Fri??

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rodmaker

• johncolson

• Team Otter

• minnesotatuff

That is a really nice looking boat. I don't think at this price its going to last long. I'm sure with cash in hand you could even do a little better, especially this time of year.

I would definitley go with a boat lift. I have a Floe with electric winch. Newman, ShoreMaster, Shorestation and and Dockrite all make good lifts. Do not cheat on the weight capacity with the lift. Having a little extra lift capacity is better than not enough. There is a lot of stress on that lift once that boat is up and out of the water. I also have full 20' canopy on my lift, sure makes for high and dry during the thunderstorms. Good luck and happy fishing. Bill

If that boat was available at that price before I purchased mine, I would have bought it!!!! smile.gif

Offer him $8500.00 cash. I bet if you look up the value of the boat, both of you will be coming out good. If you think about it the boat is going to be 13 years old before you use it. Call the bank or a boat dealer to see what the price should be.

I would be very concerned about the status of the motor. I would not buy the boat without a test drive, or even have a mechanic check it out. Shop labor for repairs could eat up any savings in a hurry. Also - check the floors and leak test the boat. If it was stored outside, the wood in the floors could be in tough shape. I wouldn't buy it without doing these things. If it all checks out, this will be a great Mille lacs boat.

the motor raises a red flag for me. first, do you need that much horsepower? i am assuming its a 2-stoke. it probably uses considerably more gas than the new generation 2-strokes or a 4-stroke. its something to think about if you use it a lot.

its an excellent boat, but beware of wear. it wasnt used on mille lacs. thats a plus...lol.

regards,

minnesotatuff

Don't forget about potential re-sale too down the road. '95 is "old" for a boat, even if it is in great shape, etc. I wouldn't pay $10,000 but rather try to get closer to $8,500, which was mentioned in an earlier post. Oh, I would be looking for a tiller too. grin.gif

think about the price you got for your old boats. the last boat i sold was a '64, 16' starcraft that had been converted from a runabout to a fishing boat. it had a 15" transom w/ the most reliable '85 (first year w/thru the prop exhaust & rating at the prop) 25hp evenrude 2-stroke...$1,300. it also had a garmon 240 locator, lights, anchors & trailer w/working lights included.

we dont want to talk about how much the replacement boat costs...haha.

regards,

minnesotatuff

I knew there would be tons of different views on Tiller Vs Console.

John,

If the type of fishing you do is drifting and slip bobber fishing a console would work. If you would do any type of trolling (cranks, or backtrolling) a tiller is the only way to go. Better boat control.

Nobody is going to knock you on your choice. Family plays a big role in choosing a boat. Just make sure you try one out on the water before you purchase, and get a boat lift.

Quote:

If the type of fishing you do is drifting and slip bobber fishing a console would work. If you would do any type of trolling (cranks, or backtrolling) a tiller is the only way to go. Better boat control.

Not trying to act like a crankbait trolling expert here, but when you have a crankbait following 100+ feet behind your boat, the 'boat control' difference between console and tiller has to be fairly negligible. If you're lindy-riggin, on the other hand, I would agree that a tiller should offer much better boat control.

Note:

you can put a tiller Kicker on a console boat...as i am debating.... crazy.gif with an extended handle.

Quote:

Not trying to act like a crankbait trolling expert here, but when you have a crankbait following 100+ feet behind your boat, the 'boat control' difference between console and tiller has to be fairly negligible.

Unless your console steering stiffens up when its 30 degrees out while trolling for 6+ hours. Arms are still sore from arm wrestling that wheel. Gonna have to remedy that somehow for next year. grin.gif

talk about the stars aligning...

i didnt go fishing saturday...chose to take the boat in for winterization. the dealer called today. it was missing really bad. they found out there is a bad injector(s?). last opener it fowled out after only 4 hours of fishing. mercury covered all the repairs on warranty, even though the warranty had expired two weeks earlier. they replaced o-rings, the alternator & belt, and tweeked everything. mercury is again covering whatever it takes to get it running right. im not a professional fisherman or in any way tied to mercury or any marine outlet, but thats why im looking at a mercury 9.9 pro-kicker.

i was lucky i didnt go by myself last saturday. it wouldnt of been a fun trip. it seemed fine the saturday before. it got some build-up while trolling, but a couple revs in neutral before taking off seemed to clear out the system. little did i know.

im truely amazed sometimes how things happen the way they are supposed to.

regards,

minnesotatuff

I am still sick about not buying the boat Valve had for sale earlier this fall confused.gif.

Next year!

My boat is still ready for Mille Lacs! cool.gif

Just a couple of leaves in it now.

The kids will Vac. them out. grin.gif

I have a 2025 Lund Pro-V with a 9.9 Merc kicker, and when I use the kicker I stear it with my 250 Merc Verado(off, but in the water) it works perfect.

Before you buy the boat go over the hull. I got a boat last year and had it for a few months before I realized they had covered a couple of holes on the bottom of it.

Personally, I think you can get something newer and nicer for the same amount of money, especially in a tiller model.

Check Rapid Sport Center, Blaine (Lund), Minnesota Marine (Crestliner). Frankies - Chisago (Lund, Ranger). I would bring your wife along, and maybe try and to convince her on a tiller model.(if you think you want one). Like I mentioned earlier, with the bigger boats you will be running minimum 75-115 hp. Still plenty of hp to have fun with the family. grin.gif

I don’t want this to be a tiller versus console debate, because each has its place in the world of fishing. With that said I would have to second the tiller comment on Mille Lacs for most of the year. I love my 620T but in the Fall it wouldn't hurt to have a nice full windshield. I fish too much the rest of the year to ever consider a console. I've talked to quite a few pros over the years and even they will tell you the only reason they have a console boat is to run long distances. They’ve told me if I’m only going to fish in MN I should never part with my tiller. One guy said, tillers were made for lakes like Mille Lacs and wishes he could have a tiller for the MN tournaments and his council boat for the rest. If you live bait rig a tiller cannot be beat.

Oh and as far as the glass vs aluminum, unless I’m cross cutting waves larger than 4’ I do not get wet at all.

This is not my boat or anyone I know, I just thought it would be a good rig for you. Whatever you decide to buy just don’t skimp on the motor. Make sure you get a nice smooth running four stroke and you’ll be a happy man. Good Luck.

2000 Skeeter 1775T

80HP 4 stroke Yamaha tiller; Lowrance X135 graph; 70 thrust Vantage trolling motor; inboard charger; $11,995.

Thanks "Team Otter" I removed the number so he won't be able to contact the person, will this be fine now? I'm just simply stating there are affordable glass boats out there. If it needs to be edited further let me know. Thanks PieEyed

PieEyed,

Please edit your post as to remove the sale information for the boat. While a nice gesture, that type of thing will not be allowed by 'admin'.

Thank you.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

If you look in the right places you can even pick up a Ranger 620T 4 years old rigged nicely for the low to mid $20,000. The 618T run about $4,000 less than 620T rigs.

I've been conteplating them for a while now.

Borch, you’re right you can find some awesome boats for around 20K. I have two 620T’s right now but I’ll be getting rid of one this winter/spring. I can’t afford two. I love my Ranger and I don’t think I can go back to a Lund. I’ve had three different Lunds over the years and then wanted to see what all the Ranger hype was about. Now after owning a Ranger I could talk your ear off about the advantages of a boat like this. I just can’t see why someone would pay 20-25k for an aluminum boat when you could get into a boat like this for the same price. Oh well, like I’ve said before each to his own. You probably know plenty of people with a 620T but if don’t and would like to check my rig out before you buy one feel free to let me know. All of my family is in the St. Cloud area so I’m down that way quite often.

I don't know if I can ask this or not. But here it goes. How old are they, motor. Any idea what you may ask for one??