• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cutting bullrushes

fishermusk

livintofish; Your right about Mike not saying what he was cutting, but you missed something also... he did not say he wanted to clear his whole shoreline...unless it is only 15' wide... wink.gif

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JP Z

• livintofish

• walleyemkr

• BoxMN

Moby Richard is correct. I have 208' of lake shore and I failed to mention that it is rice. I want to be able to get my pontoon out on the lake, that is why I maintain the 15' opening.

You guys are correct on the different state agencies not being able to give a straight or correct answer. I had to put in a gravel driveway across some questionable wetland. When I say questionable, it does not hold water ( old farm feild) but it does have wetland species plants growing in the low areas. So I had to have the SWCD come out and help me designate where the wetland started and stopped. I learned alot from them. When I had him walk my path down to the lake we talked about how thick the woods were and the terible shape of the path due to runoff from the field. They told me that I could not bring in any foriegn material to fix the path but I could cut all the underbrush and chip it and put it on the path. They also said that I could not grind any stumps that were in the path.

Now, When I recieved my proposed tax statement this year I called the tax office because of a rather large jump in value. As I was talking to the guy I mention the shape of my path and he instintly said " you're the one with the washed out path to the lake" I asked him if there was anything I could do for it and he mentioned that some people get a permit to put sand at the lakeshore and who is going to care if some "falls" out on the way down there.

I guess my point is, depending on who you talk to you will get a different answer and/or attitude of what can and can not be done.

Mike

Mike,

And my guys said the complete opposite.......Nice they really do need a set of rules that EVERYONE follows for officials. And no, I don't want to listen to the DNR when they are telling me not to do something in the Jurisdiction that itsn't theres by the way Livin......And I would like to be able to see though 40' of my 400' of lakeshore......

Moby your correct thank you for pointing that out, I did understand that it wasn't the whole shoreline, but did not articulate that well. Mike it sounds like your situation is very unique because wild rice is protected and I can see where that would lead to some permiting issues, but will come back, but you are doing the right thing trying to find the legal way to do it, unfortuneatly that is just the politics of the system. I guess it just comes down to finding the MN state law and going by that. As for the runoff from the field affecting the area, I gotta think that someone would be able to restore that or give a permit to have it restored with native plants to stop the degradation, be persistant on that one. Now I don't know whether that would be the DNR or who, but if somethings being degraded in that way I don't see why they wouldn't want to fix it. Also like you say about the different answers and attitudes, just like anywhere else some people might be more helpful and others don't want to go to the effort, unfortunate...but it happens. and jpz if you thining out the canopy in a forty foot area is not the DNRs juristiction, then don't go to them, find out who is responsible for regs on what your doing and follow what they say(which it sounds like youve done), nothing else should play into this, right? Sounds like a completely valid point you have and that you have obtained a permit through whoever controls that sort of habitat modifacation. I wish you guys luck on getting the proper information and permits do accomplish these minor modifacations. Just remember the political system can be very frustrating, as you well know. But the professionals working for these organizations only want to help citizens like us and do whats best for the resource.