• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Nice work dude. I'll be back in the area Sunday and Monday.

Hey guys,

All this talk about the Salmo Hornet lures.....i was just "browsing" on line to check them out.... are you guys using the floating models or the sinking ones? I would imagine in shallow water, your probably using the floating models.

What are the hot colors if a guy was to get some for the south metro to S minnesota lakes?

One thing I omitted from my report is; On the inside turn of the drop off where the game fish had the White Bass cornered (OK this dose sound a little hokey) you could smell the fish! Yup! Tom M. and I both made a comment that we smelled fish right before they showed up on the depth finder and hit out lures. Kinda freaky! Those White Bass must have been stressed! We never would have noticed the smell if it wasn't so calm this morning.

I find the floating #4F works very good for trolling but are a little on the light side for casting. For casting the #4S works better for me.

I started with the Hot Perch color on opener weekend and did so well, I stuck with it. It wern't broken, so it didn't need fixen. It is the bait I have started with most of the year and most of the time it's the one I finish with. It is super over gravel where you can tick the bottom. Oh yea, once you get the hornet in the water you'll know how it got it's name. The best way to discribe the way the #4 runs is. The Hornet Buzzes.

The floating model is what I am using. Some of the better colors to start with are crawdad, hot perch, gold and metallic orange, pearl orange, viking, and dace. However, there are many others so it's easy to get hooked.

Thanks Guys.

I just ordered a bunch of them from cabs online. They had them listed as 1 3/4" 2" and i think the floaters they had 2 1/2". I got an assortment of floaters and sinkers in the 1 3/4" and 2" varieties.

Got the Mille lacs bug off my mind now and am going to concentrate on the local lakes for a while. Thinking of heading to Tetonka on Friday and do a "no live bait day" and see what happens.

If any of you guys are out there, i'll be in a white Tournament sport.

Save your bait money for gas. grin.gif

Good luck out there. Not 'til Sunday and Monday for me. mad.gif

I may be on Tetonka Friday but not before 5pm. It all depends on how I feel after work. I'll have the the blue Nisson 25hp.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• gimruis
      Wow, 600 bucks for a battery powered lawn mower?  Guess I didn't realize they costed that much.   I assume most people now are using battery augers in the winter.  I remember when they first came out everyone thought they were a joke.  Things sure have changed on that front.  I hardly see anyone using a gas auger anymore.   The selling point, at least for me, would be to avoid having to do any engine maintenance.  Small 2 stroke motors are a pain in the rear to maintain, and unreliable at best.
    • Mike89
      I'll bet she's better at it!!!!  
    • leech~~
      That thing should blow better then Stormy Daniels!  🤣🤣
    • smurfy
      Well yesterday I gave the green nazi's the middle finger 
    • leech~~
      I don't know, this save the plant thing looks like a money maker, for someone! 🫤 Where do you think electric prices are going to go when they have the monopoly for everything that moves! 🙄
    • leech~~
      Nice!   It would be great if they had some kind of brake, so you don't end up on your neighbors YouTube video going down the driveway! 😆
    • SkunkedAgain
      Last month I went searching online for a trailer jack with pneumatic tires. Instead I found the video below showing a relatively quick and easy upgrade to your existing jack:     It's worked pretty well. I definitely had to mess around with finding the right combination of spacers, washers, and locknut pressure that wouldn't bind up the wheels. However, it is a pretty sweet setup and allows me much better control. We live at the end of a half-alley. My garage faces the end so when I need to hook my boat up to the truck, I have to pull it out into my driveway and then swivel it 180 degrees to face towards the street. The handle is what really makes the difference and now the trailer jack wheels don't slide on the asphalt. Has anyone else done this conversion?
    • SkunkedAgain
      I've got a pile of crawlers ready to go - a nice side benefit of all the rain in the metro lately.   At the very least, I hope that the remaining trappers are making some better money off of the higher prices. I would think that it would be a great way for local kids to make some cash. I can see why it wouldn't make for a great way to make a living as an adult.
    • Kettle
      Went out yesterday with the sunshine. I did find crappies in the shallows on a darker stained lake with Temps at 58 degrees. They had no interest in my baits
    • gimruis
      That's part of it.  Several recent years of drought have definitely played a role.   There's other factors too.  MN does not allow importation of live bait from other states either.  That really affects the amount of golden shiners available, most of which are not trapped here.  In other words, demand exceeds supply.   Lots of bait trappers and dealers have simply hung it up in recent years.  Its hard work for not much money.  The two nearest me are both done as of last October.  They both told me its just not worth it anymore.  One of them had been there for 45 years.   My advice would be to learn how to effectively fish with artificial lures more often.  I've slowly weened myself off the use of live bait nowadays.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.