Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wade Joseph

Lake Walleyes

8 posts in this topic

Ok, time to pick the brains of all you "old timer" walleye guys about area lakes. Where would you look for walleyes in the area lakes this time of year? Not looking for any pigs, I need a mess of fish for a fish fry. I know the gills are on the beds, but I need boneless fillets, thats why I am asking about lakes since the river has a 2 fish limit.

My fishy sense tells me to look for mid lake rock piles or humps in 20 fow and start there but i could be wrong.

Start HERE Wade.

Jigs, spinners and slip bob the islands, shorelines, and points. Cold temps at night will put the eyes on the breaks and make it a morning and evening bite. Slow presentations and lite bites.

Whiteface is good. Some guys I know have been doing great up there. Shallow and slow. Pick up some rattle jigs and pop some chubs or shiners on them

Island Lake for all the 11-13' eyes a guy could want.

Live bait rigs and light jigs.

Slow and shallow is what I found to be the ticket. No walleye came from deeper then 10 feet of water for us on Fish Lake last weekend. Jig and minnow worked best but a leech I am sure will do just fine. Perch are all over the place, move out a little deeper if you want them.

Quote:

Slow and shallow is what I found to be the ticket. No walleye came from deeper then 10 feet of water for us on Fish Lake last weekend. Jig and minnow worked best but a leech I am sure will do just fine. Perch are all over the place, move out a little deeper if you want them.

Were any of the fish caught on the flats??

Location doesn't seem to be as important as depth. We caught fish on several different areas of the lake but being shallow was the key. Get close to shoreline with some wind around 7:30 and there should be some fish around.

But we did end up finding a few in very shallow water in the middle of the day so if you work for them you can find them all day long.

Went out and could not get a hot pattern for eyes. They're using the whole lake right now, shallow and deep.

Better your odds by fishing the bite in the evenings.