Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BemmaB363

Anchors?

9 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

Can anyone recommend a good anchor for the river? I have a Tracker Pro-Guide Deep V 16 ft. The anchor I've been using just doesn't cut it with the high currents and wind. What's working for you guys?

Thanks,

Bob

I have a 20lb navy type, the arm really gets a good bite and will hold your boat in any wind or current.

I have a 16 Lund Classic. In the front I use a 30# river anchor with 3ft of log chain along with 100' of rope. In the back I use a 15# navy anchor with 3'of log chain along with 100' of rope. I have anchored in much current this year and it has held well everywhere. I did have only 50' of rope on each anchor and now changed it to 100'. I can anchor farther away and slide in to where I want to fish andf the anchors hold better.

I did consider the Richter anchors as they look to be a very nice anchor. Didnt buy one though and I dont know why I didnt. confused.gif

I also have the 20lb navy and I'm probably not using enough rope from what I've been reading. I've been hearing a lot of good things about the Waterspike with 3-5ft of chain before the anchor line.

I have 2 different type in the boat all the time. 1 is a 27lb river anchor, the other the old style 28lb navy. I'm not moving, PERIOD.

On Friday I used a 5 billion pound chunk of limestone that did a great job of keeping my boat in one place. Those of you who have used this same kind of anchor may also know it as "darn rockpile".

I use the biggest richter they make. I like it because it has a compact shape and holds better than my old river anchors.

I think the navy style is a very good river design and a lot of guys really like these. though they take up a lot of space in the boat.

I also use chain about five feet of it, and I use 200' feet of rope.

Keep catchin'

Turk

Thanks for the tips guys. I look forward to trying some of them out the next time I'm out.

I ended up going with the water spike and went up a size. I tested it out today. It takes a bit of practice, but after a while I seemed to figure it out and it worked pretty well. It was brutal at times with the wind gusts and heavy current. I did get a 3' piece of 3/8 chain to put on it as well. I forgot to upsize on the rope, though. I only have 50', which works fine in shallow waters, but if I tried to anchor anywhere over 18 fow It held for a while and then started dragging.

Anyway, it ended up calming down a little and I trolled for a while. I marked a ton of fish, but only ended up landing an 11" crappie caught in about 8-10 fow on crankbait?! pretty weird, but tasty!