Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mizefish

Water level?

8 posts in this topic

Have you guys had any rain...enough to improve the level?

Still low but has come about a foot since beginning of May. Graph of water level link

Hey Mize,

Ripped off the lower unit of my Mercruiser a couple days ago. Looks like a $5000.00 rock. GRRRR! I was fishing a spot similiar to the spot in the movie ON GOLDEN POND where Norman took a drink. Surely I'll be in there again, but even more careful, and kicker motor only as the hazards have multiplied due to the low water. I think I'll rename that area Mercruiser Reef. When I hit the rock I was only going about 7 MPH and my friend looked back to see lower unit parts shooting through the air like falling stars. If only I could have witnessed it maybe I could have made a quick wish to have trolled in with the kicker. I do believe that I leveled that area off a bit for the next boater though! It sure is a sick feeling knocking your boat. My buddy mentioned he'd rather crash his vehicle rather than his motor, and I couldn't agree more. I guess up here your boat is your passion, and in my case also my business. I should be back up and running on Friday, but let this be an extra reminder if you go it alone be very very very careful. If you are out exploring no matter how long you've fished the lake use your kicker or go very very slow. Electronics do little to help in some of the bays as you will go from 12 feet to 1 foot in the blink of an eye. Good fishing buddy and let my mistake serve as a precautionary measure for all fisherman entering the Black Bay Lower Unit Graveyard. Oh by the way the Crappies were biting! Ha!

RD

Apparently for most boaters on the lake it’s not a matter of if, but when, you will hit one.

I bought my boat from Thor at Rainy Lake Marine. After four seasons on the water he made a comment to me that my 200 has no dings in the lower unit.

I told him that I pay attention all the time and never want to hit a rock.

He replied we complete self-assurance “Oh, you will.”

I feel better already knowing that even the experts and guides get to name a reef every once in a while.

While I’ve heard that Black Bay is loaded with surprises, fisherman should also be aware that Bowman’s Landing has a few envious rocks waiting for you right between the green and red cans. Watch out.

I hope you get back on the water soon, RD.

Have fun,

Berng

RainyDaze,

Just saw some pictures of you and several clients on another website (rhymes with "Goodies"). Was one of these trips the one during which your lower unit go eaten?

Hey, where exactly is Woody's in relation to Island View?

And do you take clients primarily to US or Canadian waters?

Hey Guys,

I fish primarily Minnesota waters. I actually was out guiding today with another boat. Should have my boat running on Friday morning. 2 day aired the Lower unit. Life goes on! No I didn't have paying clients out on the evening I drilled the rock. One of those things, and I'm not done fishing that area, but will be even more careful next time. Thing is I went right past that area today, and still had to cringe a bit. Great day on the water, and yes I do a lot of guiding through Woody's although I am independant, and do a lot on my own also. Woody's is located in Ranier which would be off Sand bay which is really been kicking out some nice fish as of late. This would be about 4-5 miles towards the dam from Island View lodge. I can pick you up at the dock if your staying elsewhere. Good Fishing Guys, and hope to see you on the water!

what part of rainy lake do you base off of

I'm based here on the Minnesota side of Rainy. Fishing has been great!