Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lveyes

Help

5 posts in this topic

I have a map of Rainy and looking at the area of Dove Bay east to Cranberry and East to the narrows looks very good. I will be arriving 6/9 and wondered if anyone could help out with that area for Eyes? Their is a lot of water and anything that could shorten my search would be appreciated.

I LOVE that area!

This is my first post by the way, but I've enjoyed this forum for a couple years now.

My 1st trip up, that spot jumped out at me because it's what I call "humpy." Lots of depth changes from 30ft. up to 9' and then right back down again.

East of Cranberry, there's a string of smaller islands...Steamboat...and 2-3 more that aren't named on my map. My favorite troll (or drift if the wind is right) is from the easternmost island -- I call it Pike Island for reasons you'll understand if you fish it -- southwest towards a little brown cabin you can see on the southern shore. We troll reefrunners, taildancers, rattlin' rouges, or anything that just ticks the humps that top out at around 12ft. We've also killed 'em by fishing like the locals do...leech, minnow, or 1/2 crawler slow bouncin' behind a lindy sinker, or even a big split shot. I use the split shot because it's so darn snaggy with all those rocks, I figure why pay more for the lindy sinker...it's all just lead, right?

Anyway, between trolling & rigging, I prefer rigging because it's a much better fight. With trolling, the fish is SO far back there, by the time you get him near the boat he's usually just hydroplaning, too pooped to head-pound, bulldog, or make a run.

So, sorry this was so long-winded, but I love that spot so much. I had joined a group that had been coming to Rainy for years, but they had never fished that area. On about day 3, my captain says to me, "Well, I can't find 'em. Why don't YOU pick a spot." I put my finger on the map, and a few minutes later we had our first "double-header / double-netter." They let me name the spot, so even though you'll never see it on the map this way, that humpy area southeast of Cranberry is called Brad's Reef.

Let a few go for me...I'll be up the week after the 4th.

Thanks so much for the feedback. I will return the favor and let you know how we did. I think I know the area you are referring to. Let me describe it as i look at a map. Directly south of steamboat is a small unnamed island and due east of that is another one, both out in the main body of the lake not near the south shore. If i am describing the area you mentioned than you are right as i have fished those. East side of steamboat has produced for us and the small eastern most island has been really good. Don't forget the east side of this little island, close to shore we have gotten some nice fish there. One thing I am wondering is have you had any luck along the south shore at the mouth of cranberry. if you look both east to the narrows and west to dove bay it is littered with islands. I was a little confused by mention of a brown cabin, as i know a spot east just before you go into the brule narrows where there are 2 islands and a small brown cabin (abandoned). We have caught nice fish there. Have you ever been in Cranberry Bay or Dove bay? Thanks for the reply and I'm hoping to just cut down on my time searching as we only have 2 1/2 days to fish.

Yes, I've fished Cranberry & Dove, but we go in July when it's scorching hot. I can't sit in those wind-sheltered bays frothing the water for hammer-handles. Gimme the big water & a chance at a trophy. However, this time of year I would imagine them to be smallmouth factories, and from other posts I gather it's pretty easy to find walleyes way up shallow, too. Plus, the heat isn't really on yet, so it wouldn't be uncomfortable. The bonus is...you're more likely to see deer, bear, bobcat, beaver, etc. fishing closer to shore. Might not be a big deal for some guys, but I'm from Chicago, and that stuff floats my boat!

Another area we like over that way is the eastern tip of Dryweed Island. There are 2 small islands with a couple string-bean shaped reefs just to the south of them. There's 100ft. on the main basin side, and 40ft. on the island side. Find those reefs and throw some markers. Actually, there will probably be boats on the spot...you'll find 'em.

Will you be staying at Island View?

Yes we stay at Island View. Just 5 more days. I will let you know how we do when I get back. Thanks so much for the tip. I will try to get to Dryweed east side and give it a try. This is a great site. Happy to share info if i find a new Honey Hole.