Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wild Thing

ALS has late openings, fyi

3 posts in this topic

ALS fishing tournament has openings

Duluth News Tribune

Published Friday, June 01, 2007

The 12th annual ALS fishing tournament on Island Lake near Duluth Saturday has unusual last-minute openings for anglers who want to participate.

Due to a late cancellation of 20 entries from a corporate sponsor, several spots remain, said tournament spokesman Ray Higgins. The event usually sells out weeks in advance.

Two-person teams pay $350 to participate with all proceeds going to fight amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, or Lou Gehrig’s disease. Anglers vie for prizes that include airline tickets and fishing gear, and everyone has a chance to win the use of a Toyota pickup for a year.

To enter call (218) 727-7488 by 6 p.m. today.

Non-tournament anglers who plan on fishing Island Lake Saturday should know that the Minnesota Power landing will be open only to ALS tournament traffic and that the lake will have an unusually high number of boats through late afternoon.

Not trying to cause a fuss but how can a tourney close down a public landing to local traffic?

Anyways I was up there today and there wasnt as many boats and the weather sure was goofy. Ok am then rain, lightning and then it would stop then more rain and then about 1:00 or so it got nice out.

Congrats to Randy M. and D. Vadniss on their big fish. Too bad it got beat out for big fish with 5-10 minutes to go. Also good job Jeff W. I think Jeff wound up 4th. Nice job guys.

Hopefully everything will get straight next year and Ill be out there fishin and raising some money for a fantastic cause.

Oh and by the way Dave S. Im glad you were ok when I called. Ya had us worried for a bit when a boat didnt show up at weigh in time.

Quote:

Not trying to cause a fuss but how can a tourney close down a public landing to local traffic?

Same way a parade can close down a city street, a block party a city block. With permits and proper notification. It is a public launch and it was serving a public function. Not like there was no other way to access the lake. And before you say it it was a private tourney that you had to pay an entry fee to fish in, so yes it was a private venture for a very public cause.