Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hunting4walleyes

Muskies are biting on Calhoun

15 posts in this topic

I heard this morning that Muskies are biting good on Calhoun. Where do I find that foot lure?

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- A nine-year-old Minneapolis boy had a close encounter of the muskie kind.

Paris Copeland was splashing in Lake Calhoun on Memorial Day when something chomped on his ankle.

His mother, Westy Copeland, says "Blood was just gushing."

Paris had an inch-long gash and three teeth marks on his leg. The boy says he didn't see what bit him -- he "just felt a lot of pain."

The family was told it probably was a muskellunge or a tiger muskie -- a muskie-northern hybrid.

Both species grow up to four feet or longer and have been stocked in Lake Calhoun and other Twin Cities lakes.

D-N-R regional fisheries manager Daryl Ellison says serious fish bites are rare.

mayb some tackle company shld make leg/ankle look alike lure. they seem to work!

This sounds like the Muskey mith from Mille Lacs... The lady screaming about how something just ate her small dog in the water near her dock and the fishermen in a nearby boat ask what color was your dog while searching through their tackle boxes...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! tongue.gif Thanks for the laugh guys.....2 more hours and i'll be outta this office! That mille lacs story was hilarious! lol! grin.gif

Just tape snells to your kid’s leg and tell them to go play in the water.

Heard the same story about a little girl at one of the swimming beaches at Cedar Lake. Maybe it was the Musky?

Not that this story isn't possible, but look at the kid's leg. Does this really look like a musky bite? I have to believe a musky or northern bite would look much different than a scratch. Lots of things in our lakes that could cut someone, many of which are not living things. We'll never know what really happened here since not even the kid knows what he was "bitten" by. Maybe a musky, maybe not. Unfortunately, the musky bashers will have a field day with this.

Aaron

I guess it is true. The kid was on the news tonight! It was not that bad of a cut though.

I say we start a rumor that we witnessed the attack and saw a huge dorsal fin swimming through the water! wink.gif

it happened on rebecca years ago. think the kid ended up with a 100 stitches or something. my buddy had his transducer attacked while ice fishing on calhoun as well. we spend all that money on baits and all we need is something that looks like a black puck sitting still.

And of course it's a muskie. It couldn't have been a northern. A nice, friendly, native northern pike couldn't have done it, even though they outnumber the muskie 10-1. It had to be one of those mean, evil, exotic muskie that we stock in our lakes. See what happens when you fishermen mess w/ nature? wink.gif

Arg, like one of you guys said, just more ammo for PETA to use against us. Of course, they never mention to the uneducated public that it was more likely a northern. I think we should just kill off all the fish in lakes, just to make sure one kid a year doesn't get some stitches.

hey, when you enter the lake you take that chance,just like the dude up north with the bobcat scratches,you are in their home,i know when i enter the lake i keep my feet moving,plus like stated it happens very rarely that i dont think many people get to upset about it.at least we aint got to deal with fish that can really do you harm crazy.giffdr

The kid's mom was all upset that the kid would forever be afraid of going in the lake and swimming again. Can you say'over-reaction', boys and girls?? I remember the Lake Rebecca one also. The boy's mom wanted to have the DNR somehow catch the musky that was responsible. Since Rebecca is a musky spawning lake and the fish didn't have a lot of identifiable features, were they suppososed to wipe them all out? Some people should not be allowed out of their homes. tongue.gif

Amen!

Quote:

Amen!

I'll second that!

And I'll third it!