• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Trolling speeds?

What is a good range for trolling speeds? I have GPS in the boat now and it tells me with great accuracy how fast I'm going, but now I seem to be doubting myself as far as the speed with which to troll. I used to go on feel but since I haven't had much success this year, I thought I would throw the question out there. I usually troll in the 12'-15' range for Bass/Pike. Thanks in advance!

With plugs, I like to troll anywhere from 1 mph up to 2.5 mph. It all depends on how the fish are (negative, positive, neutral). Trolling with spinners I like to stay around 1 mph and even slower with snells.

For pike/musky speeds up to 5mph - but I usually start ~2.5 and vary it until I find the speed that works. Spring walleye ~2 to 2.5mph. This assumes you are draggin cranks/spinnerbaits.

What kind of cranks do you guys use to go after multi-species like pike, bass and walleye?

I did quite a bit of trolling last weekend with a #5 shad rap (4-9 ft depth) in 8-12 feet of water and had very little luck.

I'm usually pulling Rapala's, what I refer to as a "stick bait" (Not sure what it is really called, this is what my grandpa used to call it). Three sets of barbs, about 6-7 inches long. I've had very good luck in the past catching Bass and Pike on these. I have 5 different color schemes (black/gold & black/silver being the most productive), but am not having any luck so far! Thanks for the replies all!

Early in the year, you need to be running the lures right over the top of the weeds to trigger strikes. We did well on the opener pulling stick baits on Tonka, just over the tops of the weeds, in 9-12FOW. If your not snagging a few weeds every now and then, you are not getting the lure down deep enough.