Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sprig

Shore Fishing Suggestions???

7 posts in this topic

I am new resident to the Alexandria area. I don't have a boat yet and I was wondering where there might be some good places to shore cast for any species. I am not asking for your spot X, just a cool place to catch some fish from shore (panfish, walleye, bass). Thanks!!!!

There's a nice lake just north and west of Sauk Center called Fairy Lake. Some good shoreline sunfish action in early to mid summer. Even a few hammer handle northerns to keep things interesting. The shore area around Hennington's restaurant is a good place to try. There's some back country dirt roads you can follow and access the lake at several places. Slip bobber and piece of nightcrawler or wax worms or crappie minnow gave us plenty of shore action the few times I've scouted that lake after dinner at Henningtons.

Sprig,

Welcome to the area. There are a bunch of spots that I have tried in the past with different levels of success. I live over by the Victoria public access and have seen people there every day for weeks on the fishing pier. My guess is plenty of sunnies with crappies, bass and northerns mixed in. Geneva fishing pier is another decent place just off highway 29. The Carlos/Darling bridge can be decent for walleye and bass. The culvert flowing in to Louise can be fun also. Early season crappies on Oscar(small bay just off 27).

One suggestion I might make is getting a plat book to help you navigate around and check out some spots. There are plenty of others I did not mention but I have actually had some success at the ones listed.

-Hossienda

last summer i was at lake carlos state park for a week... i would just wade out into the water use slip bobber... I caught a ton of some pretty good size panfish (sunnies, few crappies)... my 2 year old daughter caught her 1st fish on her own sitting on the back of the boat, whcih was pulled up to shore...

Quote:

I am new resident to the Alexandria area. I don't have a boat yet and I was wondering where there might be some good places to shore cast for any species. I am not asking for your spot X, just a cool place to catch some fish from shore (panfish, walleye, bass). Thanks!!!!

Many people over the years have parked on the side of the road on hwy 27 and fished along the north shore of Victoria. Couldn't tell you how the shore fishing is, but, sitting off shore, in a boat, in about 10-15 ft of water is a good pan fishing spot...sometimes. As said above, both Victoria (on the south end) and Geveva (on the north west corner) have fishing piers. I have seen some people fishing on the shore of Le Homme dieu right along hwy 29. Couldn't tell you a thing about how good the fishing is there. At any given time, most any fish can be pulled out by either of the above piers, with pan fish and bass being your best bet.

there should be a ton up there in alex ya know but youll have more luck finding private property and no fishing from brifge signs!! Try geneva fishing pier, or acroos the road under the train bridge over to the lehommedieu culvert, reno and maple culvert, louise culvets, lake charlie by louise, darling fishing piers good for crappies, bass, and a few pike, hmmm . . . . carlos bridge, carlos dam by state park, glenwood area, theres torges culvert, city beach, pelican culvert or boat ramp, just to name a few, but seriously the best spots you'll need a boat, cuz unless yo ask real nice and get lucky, most people will worry about the tresspassing thing too much, so dont ever try to trespass before asking, treat them with respect, and share your love for the outdoors, and maybe have your little kids with and you may snag into some good private land to fish off of. grin.gif

Thanks alot guys for all the suggestions!!! Went out a couple nights ago to the Carlos-Darling Bridge and had a good time. The last couple nights have been awesome. It is just nice to be outside.