Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PiKeGuY101

What Kind of Boat???

9 posts in this topic

I am looking at buying a new boat and am torn between a 16.5' Deep V or a 17.6' Bass boat, I fish Minnetonka and Waconia alot but also many smaller lakes in the SW metro. I will also be trying Mille Lacs and some other Lg Muskey lakes up north. Anybody have any segestions?

Pike Guy,

As a guy who owns a 16-footer and has a best buddy with a 17-footer, I can tell you that the extra foot makes a world of difference in comfort, safety and ride.

Spend a little extra to get the 17.

As far as boat type is concerned, that depends where you spend your time, the bow, or main deck. Thats all up to you. I know I would go for the deep-V, just a personal preference.

If you're looking for a new boat specifically for muskie fishing go w/ the tracker avalanche. Anyways, it's a great boat, big enough for big lakes but not too big for smaller lakes, big casting decks front and back. It has a decently deep v but not overly so. I was very impressed.

Get the bass boat if you musky fish almost exclusively. I have a 17'6" bass boat and take it on Mille Lacs and Minnetonka all the time. It is so nice to fish jerk baits, glide baits, etc. without banging your rod on the side of the boat. Being lower to the water allows you more boat control with the bow mount, wind does not catch it. Bass boats do almost as good in big waves as walleye boats do. All my musky buddies love fishing muskies out of my boat as opposed to their multispecies boats, which are better suited for walleye fishing. Go with the bass boat, you will love the speed and fishablity.

Not telling you what kind of boat to buy, but Bob Mesakomer fishes musky out of a bass boat.

I run a 1750 fishhawk and love it. It's wide, stable and the front deck is huge in comparison to other boats of it's length.

I don't mean to steal away from this thread..but i'm on the same "boat" also...i've been looking for a rig and have a question... what's the difference between a short shaft and long shaft outboard motor? are there any advantages?

The long-shaft is made for deeper boats (i.e. taller transom) so the bottom of the motor and propeller are deep enough in the water. If you have a smaller fishing boat (16' or less) or a Jon boat, MOST of the time, you will only need a standard or short-shaft motor. You should measure your transom height outside of the boat from the bottom center to the top of the motor mount to be sure.

-Gregg B.

Hey Guys, that was what I wanted to hear, THANKS! Bass Boat it is... Thanks for the help and see ya'll on the water!!!