Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ccarlson

Tilt/Trim switch problem on Merc Kicker

8 posts in this topic

I have an '02 Merc 9.9 bigfoot kicker with remote throttle.

The tilt/trim started acting up a little on the "up" a few weeks ago and has gotten worse. If I jiggle the handle as I attempt to raise the motor with the only switch (located on the remote), it will sometimes help it work, otherwise it just makes a clicking sound back at the motor and will not raise up. Occassionally it also will make a slight and short shorting out sound without raising up. All of the sounds come from back at the motor.

Several attempts and fidgeting with the up/down buttons will eventually get it to work and raise up but it is getting worse and harder to activate.

The down button works fine.

Do you think the problem is in the switch on the remote or is it back at the motor? Any suggestions?

I did try to check all wire connections at both the remote and motor and can not see any problems with a cut line or short.

ccarlson

I'm guessing it's probably the trim relays. On my 60 Merc there was one for up and one for down. The down one would work occasionally if I went back and forth on the up/down button until finally the down relay would engage and let it down. Try going up and down on the button without jiggling the handle and it'll probably have the same result if it is the relays and not a short somewhere in the handle. I put a new relay in and it was good to go, but I replaced the Up relay as well just to have both of them fresh. They didn't cost a whole lot.

I'm not familiar with the 9.9 to know where the relays are located, but you could try swapping them to see if the problem reverses (now it goes up but won't go down). Then you'll know for sure that the relay is the culprit.

That sounds like a good suggestion. I'll swap the relays and see what happens before I take it to the shop. I think I know where they are now that you mention them.

Thanks,

ccarlson

LMITOUT,

That was the problem. Put two new relays on and the problem is solved. Thanks for saving me a shop time bill.

ccarlson

Great!! Nice to hear that's all it was and an easy fix.

cool.gif

Do you I have to buy a tilt trim relay for my merc at the boat dealer or would this be something I could find somewhere else? Also, approximately what would be the cost? I have issues with the down trimming. Up is fine. I have a buddy that can probably do the work, I just need to get the parts.

I think they were about $13-$15 each (one needed for up and one for down). I took the advice of a couple people and just replaced both at the same time.

As far as doing the replacement, if you can unplug one and plug in the other, you can do it.

By the way, they had a tough time finding the relay listed for my merc bigfoot kicker on the schematic and parts list and just about sent me out without one. Luckily a mechanic from the back came out and told the parts guy just to look one up from any mid sized merc motor as they are all the same and he was right, no problems since.

ccarlson

Cool, thanks for the info!