Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DUCKJ

Smallies

8 posts in this topic

Im not looking for any of your hot spots but rather baits to use. What is you best smallie bait for the pond? Ive been out there a couple times and boated a few on plastic wormsbut havnt given any other bait a shot.

Duck

Mushroom head jigs from gopher tackle, w/ a 4" grub (color not important as long as it's pumpkin wink.gif) Don't be afraid to throw some swim baits like the storm wild-eye's etc, especially later in the summer, they seem to really like the larger baits.

I can't imagine that a tube would not be a wonderful choice as well.

Daze Off

I'm sure a tube would be great; I've never used one up there yet, just because I've been catching them w/ the other baits, but I'm going to give them a try this year.

Green northland jig with a white mister twister grub tail on a straight retrieve always produces on Mille Lacs.

We catch them all the time on bucktails, spinnerbaits, and crankbaits while musky fishing!

As far as baits to target them, have had good luck with tube baits and rapalas. Suspending husky jerks #10 or #12. #5 and #7 shad raps. Crawfish, firetiger, and regular minnow colors.

Tubes have always produced in calmer conditions for me. When there is a little wind try an inline spinner like meps aglia or blue fox vibrax #3 or #4 with hair. Use a swivel to lessen line twists. also for topwater try a matzou spitnsputter or a rapala skitterprop.

Thingfish

Just wanted to say thanks for the info. Finaly got out last friday and had a ball. Didnt catch a ton of fish but the fish I got were big. Got 2 between 3 and 4 lbs and another 10 or so between 4 to 6 lbs.