Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hanson

Difference a year makes...

8 posts in this topic

Last Memorial Weekend, I had about the most fantastic channel cat fishing I have ever seen in my life on the Red River. This Memorial Weekend was about the most disappointing channel cat fishing I have ever seen. frown.gif

What a learning experience it was though!

What do they say... sometimes you learn more from your bad outings than your good outings.

I fished a full day Friday (in the rain!), and a full day Sunday which was absolutely gorgeous. Both days we fished out of Grand Forks North Ramp. I'm not going to say how many fish we put in the boat because it was downright embarrassing and pathetic, but a good time on the water regardless.

I fished every conceivable pattern and structure I could find and couldn't put any kind of pattern together. The fish weren't telling me anything.

Snags & wood were actually the best pattern I could find. Fish were coming off the deep side of the channel edge under the wood. Nothing off the shoreline, shallower side.

Current breaks on outside bends was the next best pattern.

Nothing out of holes, nothing off the heads of holes. Didn't spend too much time fishing runs.

The common theme was fish tapping and tapping at our baits. They would just not commit to eating. All of the structures I've mentioned showed signs of fish activity, but not aggressively feeding fish. We only had 1 cat double the rod over with reckless abandon.

Air temps obviously dropped dramatically end of last week. Water temp dropped at least 4 degrees between Friday & Sunday with the rain. Post cold front, rising barometer... The cards were definitely stacked against us. smile.gif

Oh well... we fished every "fishy" looking spot from Forks to Manvel and back. That was a fun boat ride all the way back on Friday in the pouring rain. smile.gif

And to top it off, I got pulled over on the way through Crookston.

Hi Wiskers! I'm going to get you back someday. smile.gif

This year is extremely Fustrating!! I Have only had a few chances to get out with the extremely high water levels this year. I hope the rain holds off for awhile and allows the red to settle down. I am getting extremely itchy to get out!

YAAAAAAAAAWN!!! I am so tired of the rain and high water!!

Thanks for the report Hanson. My day was just as slow on Lake of the Woods sunday... I actually hope the fishing is going to be tough this year atleast as far as tournament fishing goes. I would like to have circumstances where everybody has it tough, rather than everyone hammering the fish.

I still haven't been over there to fish yet??? I usually have a few trips in by now, but gas prices haven't helped either. tongue.gif Hopefully I'll get over there soon and give it a go.

You got pulled over by Wiskers, kinda funny. Did you know it was him??

Thanks, talk to you later

Quote:

You got pulled over by Wiskers, kinda funny. Did you know it was him??

Heck no! The heart was pumpin' for awhile. smile.gif

That 2 out of 3 years spring high water scenarios the darn Red River throws us fouled you up this year Chris.

The Cats on the Roseau river are snappin major the past week and a half, gobs of them with ripe bellies. This river has been taken over by those darn Channel Catfish.

fiskyknut

I'll second that on the Roseau......I've been heading up there after work during the week to scratch the fishing itch between trips to The Pond. I've fished probably six or eight nights, and every time there's been at least two or more kitties over ten lbs that decided it was supper time. What a bonus when you're out eye hunting on an under fished resource so close to home.....kinda like living in Crookston, huh Wiskers (and Chris)?

Looks to me that if I want to get any cat fishing in this year I may have to put on some miles to do so. I've never fished the Roso (that's Roseau for those who don't speak NW Minnesotan) River for cats- might be fun! Maybe sometime while up that way I'll swing in for a day of whisker hunting.

In the meantime, can someone stop it from raining for a while?