Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DaleBakken

Back from Kab

9 posts in this topic

One Week at Kab, what a Joy. My two boys and brother and dad,and a good freind. We caught over 150 eyes, mainly in 7-10 ft.rainbows everyday but 2, leeches were the ticket Wed.pm & Thurs. It Was so windy!! we mainly stayed on the northeast end.Tom Cod, Bittersweet,Grasses,Cemetery. Pin Cherry in 25ft. We had fish for dinner 3 nights and brought home a meal.Wed. night a cold front came thru and figured thursday was going to be slow, was I wrong Thursday was our best day with 80 eyes caught 11 keepers. I was the best year in alot of years,I think the slot is helping. God Bless

Dang, Deb and I were supposed to be there from Thurs. on, but we backed out cause of the weather forcast, would have made the trip to see you guys though. Our friends did very well also, but mostly fished Nam. Glad to hear you did well and hope to see you soon. HTB/ B Larson

We just got home Tuesday from Kab. The guys with me get bored fishing walleyes so we casted for Northerns and smallmouths and did pretty well. How do you fish for the walleyes? The little walleye fishing we did was jigging minnows. I think we would have done ok if we would have stayed at it. What depths did you fish? Maybe next time We can get started catching some walleyes and get my fishing partners excited about them.

Were the northerns hitting anything on top?

Got back yesterday from fishing Kab over Memorial weekend. Got a couple limits of 14" to 16 1/2" eaters with quite a few bigger ones mixed in. There seems to be a nice variety of year classes out there right now. Our biggest was 24" but we had a few 17"ers, 19"ers & 21"ers also. We fished the West end around the Three Sisters primarily with the bigger ones in the 9'-12' depths & the keepers a little bit deeper. The wind changed daily but the fish didn't seem to have moved too far from where they were the day before. 1/8oz. fireball jig or lindy setup worked the best.

Definately one of the better weekends fishing on Kab in quite a few years.

Here's a picture of my 24"er

[image]100_1267.jpg[/image]

MN Wannabe, we mainly used lindy rigs with rainbow mninnows in 7 to 8 fow. About every 20 min or so walleye would come thur. We did move around about ever 3 hrs unless we were nailing them.

Sledneck,

The northerns weren't hitting on top for us.

Mn Wannabe

Dale, sounds like you had a great time up there. I'm taking the family up the last week of june and are staying at Northern Lights Resort on the west side,never been on the lake but I'm trying to get as much info from this site as possible. Say I worked with a Dale Bakken about 15 years ago on the Wash. Co. jail. I was an apprentice electrician at the time and worked with the block layers and a Dale Bakken was a foreman, just wondering if you might be him.

Greyfox,Yes I am the one. I worked for Knutson for 15 years. I now work at St. Andrews Lutheran Church, Director of Buildings and Grounds for the last 8 yrs. Our family has been going to Kab for about the last 25 yrs. the only time I go is the week before or after Memorial Day.I have always enjoyed the fishing up there.The fishing is getting better every year since the slot.I will talk with my brother,he started going in the 2nd and 3rd week of June. Good luck,