Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MissouriJeff

Gas prices

14 posts in this topic

How painful are the gas prices on the water near the trading post? With them being around the $3.30 mark here, should I stop eating for a week so I can put gas in my boat?

Thats a tough question to answer. Gas prices in MN will jump 20 to 25 cents then, for the next 4 days it will drop 5 cents a day until it gets to where it started and jump again. Buying gas on the "Low end" is like hitting a fast moving target. 5 days ago it was around $3.30 a gallon, this morning I got it for $2.99. Seems price jumps usually happen on Wed. or Thurs., but thats not a hard rule.

Is that on the water?

We wish. If it were that on the water I would be overjoyed. $3.34 is what it is at the pumps this morning. Gas prices have gone down, but prices that consumers pay is still the same. Hopefully it will stop sometime!

Back from Kab. paid $3.80 on the water and $3.26 on the way up & back.

That's really is not as bad as I thought it would be on the water. Thank you all for the info. I leave in 6 days, 23 hours, 51 minutes and 31 sec, 30 sec, 29 sec...

I believe it was $4/gal at Hamberg's marina. My parents own a resort on Lake Vermilion and they just filled up there 1000 gallon tank and they paid $3.48/gallon at wholesale prices for 91 octane non-oxy. With insurances and labor, etc. they have to charge $4/gal just to make it worth while and they still don't make money selling gas. I just got back from Little Eva yesterday and we paid $5/gallon at Sand Point Lodge. We weren't surprised or upset. We know that even at that price they aren't making much money at it. It's not like they're pumping 20,000 gallons a summer. They probably make a profit of $1500-$2000 a YEAR in gas sales, if that! Whatever the gas prices may be just try not to get upset with the resort or marina owners. They're just trying to do well enough to stay in business so that we can go up and enjoy the area. It sounds like you're already prepared for high fuel prices so it sounds like these prices won't bother you. I hope you have a great trip and catch a lot of fish. smile.gif

Thanks JN.

I think we will be filling up at Berger's trading post, it's the closest to where we are going to camp any idea if they are open, there website has been down lately.

I thought Bergers closed at the end of last season. Are they still operating and selling gas and bait?

Be happy with $3.30. I was just up to the Canadian side of Rainy and gas prices at the dock were $1.49 per liter or $5.96 for a little more than a US gallon. There is basically a dollar for dollar exchange rate. OUCH!!!

the last i heard bergers was closed and no gas to be had on namakan. please let us know if anybody knows different. i'll be up there middle of july at the boy scout camp off clearwater bay and will definately miss being able to fill up at bergers.

My Sylvan/70 HP Yamaha combo has a 26 gallon tank. I plan on it being full, and carrying and extra 10 gallons. Gas mileage towing up may suffer abit, but should save a few bucks. . . and if I can't find fish in the 4 days I'll be there with 36 gallons, I shouldn't have gone anyway! LOL

Plan on paying at the resorts $3.50- 4.00 per gallon, and its only going to get higher! Not a cheap trip anymore!

I really don't think $4.00 a gallon is all that bad on the water. Like JN said the mom and pop gas places that are up there are not makeing any money by selling gas.