• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

weekend 26th

Walli1

Well in less than 6 hours I'll be in my truck heading down to the croix, looks like a rain suit maybe needed. I'm so pump it will be a sleepless night but the pay off of a peaceful morning is worth it! See you on the river! cool.gif

My buddy and I hit the river around 4ish, what a beatiful morning and peaceful. The fish seemed to be lite bitters, thanks to my ever so sensative Limit Creek Rod, I manage to boat 8, 6 of which were legals eyes, my buddy got one small eye, he said he was having a hard time feeling the lite bits, I told him you got to get a Limit Creek Rod, its nicer than my croix rods and at less then half to price, good rod. Around 9:30 the DNR came by and were checking boats and they said we were the only boat they check so far with fish, makes you think we were doing something right, so to wrap it up its like this, Crawlers on a lindy rig, black hook, two foot snell 14- 26 fow + a Limit Creek Rod, six eyes for the oil! cool.gif See you on the water!!

Do you drift or electric troll??? I'm looking for a correct speed... confused.gif

Electric troller, find them and work em staying vertical, good luck!

I'm taking my Neighbor to the Croix Sunday morning throughout the day - I'll be anywhere from Kinni to north of Hudson.

If any of ya see a Alumacraft Tournament Sport with a 140 Suzuki off the back, say Hi !!! cool.gif

I'll be on the river in less than 6 hours, really got the pressure on to produce fish, I'm taken two guys out from my church, neither one has walleye fishing experence, let alone lindy riggen, should be interesting! wink.gif

Well that went alot better then I thought, marked alot of fish and caught a mixed bag, the eyes we found that were active and decent size were in 21-26 fow and were caught on lindy rigs (yellow#6 hooks and minnows, couldn't buy a bite today on a crawler or leech, minnows/shinners were the key. Ended the day with two very happy gentlemen and five nice eyes for the oil! See you on the water!

On river bright and early was one of first at the free st. croix landing north of stillwater. Marked fish early and caught limit by 7AM. Boated over 50+ fish today. Mostly on sucker minnows on plain hook. Jigs didnt work today for some odd reason. Biggest fish was a 25" eye. Was working very deep again.

Well! What a difference from what we experienced.......

Hit the Kinnic at 5:30 AM, No Walleyes.

Hit the I-94 Bridge area, No Walleyes.

Hit the sandbar north od the swing bridge, No Walleyes.

Drifted the Hudson channel, 1 12" Walleye.

Did not see even 1 Walleye caught on any other boat.

Hmph.

I don't really know where EYEDEAS is fishing but he better keep it a secret, cause we work really hard for our five, heck I havn't had a 50+ fish day in along time. I talked to serveral boats and only found two boats that caught anything at all today. Hopefully this weather we get stablized and the fish will become more active! I'll be out again early in the morning as usual! cool.gif

Yea, I'm sure he's telling the truth........... wink.gifsmile.gif

I've caught 36 in 1 day by myself once in the Croix.

Overall I've done very well in the Croix in the 30 years I've fished it, but not that many...

The Walleye bite has been indeed thin this year, not just on my line, but I don't see many Walleyes caught by ANYONE! ...and I have a good set of eyes that keep looking as much as possible!

The bite this year over all is down from years past but the sizes are over all are bigger, I'm sure the bite well improve as the weather stablizes. SEE YOU ON THE WATER!!

Well todays trip didn't go well in the walleye dept. Caught a mixed bag this morning but only one eye and it came up 1/2 short, still had a fun time plus getting a 18" smallie was the high light, looking forward to the weekend!

Sound like I did better but not really. Yesterday I had a handfull of sauger. Today 12-15 mostly small walley and a couple of larger suagers along with a nice white bass and a sheep head. The best time today was from 7:30 to around 9:30. Lots of bytes and missed quite a few until I went down a jig size. Orange jig with a slip sinker and a fathead hooke through the head was the ticket (just ask the other boaters that where near buy grin.gif) If you hooked them throught the back or the tail there where no bytes!!

No luck for me also. I launched out of Stillwater and even travelled all the way to Prescott. First time with the boat out so motor needed the work. grin.gif All I caught were a few smallies and a dink walleye. I got in the river around 6 am and the river was like glass with no air blowing at all. Things changed around noon, them winds were blowing. I hardly marked any fish also, where did they all go? crazy.gif Good luck yalls

Quote:

Well! What a difference from what we experienced.......

Hit the Kinnic at 5:30 AM, No Walleyes.

Hit the sandbar north od the swing bridge, No Walleyes.

Drifted the Hudson channel, 1 12" Walleye.

Did not see even 1 Walleye caught on any other boat.

Hmph.

Sounds exactly like every time I'm on the Croix.... crazy.gifwink.gif

Was out on Monday from about 6:30 - 9:00 (had to get home and clean the garage) and didn't do too bad. Started out sacrificing a number of crawlers to the rock bass gods so I decided to move. Spot #2 produced a nice smally and a short eye. Spot #3 produced a 20" sauger and a 19" eye. Tried trolling cranks with no luck, all the fish were caught on lindys with a 5' leader, #6 green hook in 15-19 fow.

I hit the river for a few hours Saturday morning... mostly trolled a shadrap style crankbait. Ended up having a 'mulit-species' day - caught a couple of walleye, a couple of sauger, a few sheephead, a nice crappie, and a big channel cat (that one was on a slip-bobber rig). Ended up bringing four fish home for the fryer!

I agree with the overall reports of slow fishing; the weather lately has been rough on getting a consistent pattern set up and it doesn't look be to changing any time soon!

Walli1,

Nice reports! Sounds like you had a fun time!!! I too love that light bite fishing.

I wasn't out all weekend just friday and saturday, I found the walleyes cooperative on cralwers and leeches in 12 to 22 fow. In fact on these guide trips we caught many over 22", which in my opinion is good for the St. Croix (catching larger fish that is).

The reason I mention these larger fish is too stress the release of walleyes over 20". Can you keep them? sure, but I think you do the fishery well, very well to release walleyes over 20's. Your choice, but it does feel very nice to let walleyes go...

Keep catchin'

Turk

Very true statement, while I like to keep a few now and again, I can't remember the last time I took one home that was over 18", plenty of sub 18" eyes to fry, better tasting and better for you as well.

Sounds like a mixed report for the weekend, I wasn't around but hope on hitting the riv on Friday after work....maybe Sat morning...see ya.

I have only fished the river the last two years however I have been impressed with the number of walleyes we have boated primarily long line trolling. However what has impressed me this year is the quality of the sauger we have caught with several over 17 inches. I couldn't be happier on the river when compared to the East metro area lakes. Just my two cents worth.