Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
joeyquicksand*

what are those black spots on fish

11 posts in this topic

I've noticed some parasite that is uglying up all the northerns on my folks lake up north. What the heck is that, and if i eat northern pike sushi will i get black spots? ONLY KIDDING! but what the heck is it?????

worms

I dont know but I have been seeing them everywhere frown.gif

i used to see them on sunnies and crappies from sunrise lake in linstrom but was told not to worry as long as the meat looked good.besides if you cook it,it should kill it smirk.gif

umm..... they are worms

Black spots

Black spot disease is commonly observed in rock bass and other sunfish, bass, pike, perch, minnows, and other fish species. It can be identified by the presence of small black spots, usually about the size of a pin head, in the skin, the fins, the musculature, and the mouth of the fish. The black spots are caused by pigment that the fish deposits around the larval stage of a parasitic digenetic trematode, usually a Neascus spp.

The lifecycle of the "black spot" parasite is complex. The adult parasite is found in a fish eating bird, the kingfisher. The larval parasite is transferred from the infected fish to the bird during the feeding process. In the kingfisher, the larval stage develops into an adult parasite. The adult parasite in the intestine of the bird produces eggs that are eventually deposited in the water. There the eggs mature, hatch, and develop into the miracidium stage of the parasite. The miracidium infects a snail. In the snail, the miracidium develops into the cercaria life stage. The cercaria leaves the snail and actively penetrates a host fish. In the fish, the parasite becomes encysted. In about 22 days, black spots form around the cyst. This entire lifecycle takes at least 112 days to complete.

In general, the presence of the "black spot" parasite does not affect the growth or the longevity of the infected fish; however massive infections in young fish may cause fish mortality. The parasite is incapable of infecting humans and, as is the case with all fish parasites, it is destroyed by thorough cooking. When fish are heavily infected, some anglers prefer to remove the skin to improve the appearance of the cooked fish.

From an online source..

When you are cooking them up if anyone asks what all the black spots are, tell them it's pepper.

smile.gif They aren't 'worms' and not harmful at all! Just fillet the fish!

Sorry I had my parasites mixed up........Dr. Mcfishy grin.gif Worms, bugs, parasites, whats the difference??? I never said anything about eating them.... I have eaten fish with these spots many times and I'm still some what normal tongue.gif Peace out cub scout.......

I won't eat a fish with black spots on. Even though it is somewhat consider safe if fully cook the DNR still says to use precaution. It's not known to affect human but they dont say it with assurance. Somehow there is no know treatment? Why? I don't know, but I would really like to see a solution.

The infection can be meat deep and the sunfish are mostly affected, I guess maybe due to the fact that the parasites swim or occupy shallow waters. I occasionally see it on Bass & Walleye or larger gamefish too. I hardly see the spots on Crappies if not at all.

About 70% of the lakes/ponds I fish in I see these parasites on fish so its a problem because I think it makes fish uneatable when heavily infested. You think they had some sort of solution by now.

Freckles?