Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Coach1310

STAY WARM....Memorial Weekend Tenters!!!

12 posts in this topic

Just wanted to wish all you tenters well this weekend. It is gonna be chilly, especially up north!!! My buddies and I were gonna tent it, but thankfully we booked a hotel instead. I have always said anytime spent outdoors is better than a day spent at work, ....but sleeping in a tent in a damp, 40 degrees...I am not quite sure!! Best of luck

No different than a drafty fish house on Mille Lacs when the wind is a howling -20...

I'm just bringing all my Ice Fishing clothes...

Biggest thing is sleeping with a warm hat on!

My Zero degree sleeping bag and extra Thermal blanket ought to handle the rest!

10 below is when I start to think twice about the trip. Anything above freezing is a piece of cake...assuming you have the right gear.

Lowest temp I slept in was 20 below, spent that night in a snow shelter I built witha friend. Rubber shower curtain down on the snow to keep us dry and then a thin pad for extra cushion and insulation and then a heckuva good mummy bag and I slept like a baby.

I will be sleeping in a hammock in my sleeping bag...no problem. With the right clothes and gear, you stay warm.

The tent will be up too if it starts raining.

I am lucky that I do not get mosquito bites. They can bite me all night long and I have never gotten any type of an itch. I used to sleep in a hammock or at the end of the dock in a lawn chair all the time with only a mask on to prevent the buggers from buzzing in my ears.

Now, with fear of the diseases they carry...I usually sleep in the tent.

It may be cold and wet this weekend but we sure need it.

Quote:

10 below is when I start to think twice about the trip. Anything above freezing is a piece of cake...assuming you have the right gear.

Lowest temp I slept in was 20 below, spent that night in a snow shelter I built witha friend. Rubber shower curtain down on the snow to keep us dry and then a thin pad for extra cushion and insulation and then a heckuva good mummy bag and I slept like a baby.

We've got one guy who was just added to out crew heading up this weekend... He's a real city guy... No Boots, no rain gear, 40 degree sleeping bag...

Currently we're all in the process over e-mail of ponying up spare odds and ends of gear to take care of him... Luckily one guy is bringing up a pop-up camper with a small heater in it.

Last weekend I was out, and the Cold front hit us in the middle of Saturday up where I was... Had the Fiance with me... So I put her in the Zero degree bag, and wrapped myself up in my 40 degree bag and thermal blanket... I was doing OK, until the air mattress started losing air. So I tucked the leaky part (On my Side) under her, and slept on the ground...

Many I tell you I was shivering all day Sunday... And my Joints were hurting until that heat of Monday's sun finally found it's way to me.

This time I'm going up alone (She has to work) so I can use all the warm gear myself. And I bought a Double high queen for my air mattress!

Nice to hear you guys aren't backing down to the weather...as for me, the motel sounds good!! grin.gif

We'll be tenting it family and all. I have the "least" rated bag at 20*. Kids bags are for 10* and everyone has a closed cell foam pad. They are way warmer than a air mattress. It may get you off the ground but it won't insulate you. Once the air inside the mattress reaches the temp outside its like sleeping on the ground, only more comfy. Thats why we've got the inflatable thermarest foam pads. Best of both worlds.

Quote:

We'll be tenting it family and all. I have the "least" rated bag at 20*. Kids bags are for 10* and everyone has a closed cell foam pad. They are way warmer than a air mattress. It may get you off the ground but it won't insulate you. Once the air inside the mattress reaches the temp outside its like sleeping on the ground, only more comfy. Thats why we've got the inflatable thermarest foam pads. Best of both worlds.

Yeah I've been thinking about just that... No time for me to run and get the pad... But I'll definitely put it on my list for next time! Thanks for the tip!

This weekend I'm bringing the old 20 degree bag with the exploded zipper, and I'm going to lay it down ontop of the air mattress. So at least there's another warm layer between me and that cold body of air.

Boy I wish I was tenting it this weekend, i really enjoy those cold nights in a warm sleeping bag. The wife and kids are heading north and I am heading to work.

You boys have a fun and safe weekend.

You have that wrong...you should be heading to the lake and the wife to work!! grin.gifgrin.gif

Spent the weekend outdoors and it was great. Rained quite a bit on saturday, but we went into Grand Rapids for the day. Visited a few places and had a great pizza buffet for lunch. Gotta keep the troops happy.

Low temps were in the upper 30's. Everyone slept great. Warm and toasty. Actually had to take off the extra blankets that were brought.