Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ellroy2

Lida or Star?

10 posts in this topic

Which one would be a better all around walleye lake? Thinking about trying one toward the end of June. Is one easier to fish than the other? Might try and go out with a guide or someone for a day to get a feel for the lake. Are there any good guides that fish either one of those lakes?

Lida is probably more consistant but Star will be better if the bite is on. Lida has a pretty restrictive slot. Lida can have a bad mayfly hatch. Some catch fish during that time but I struggle when the little buggers are floating around. On Star you'll catch lots of northerns between the walleyes, on Lida you'll catch more smallmouth with the walleyes. Some of those can be wall hangers and all are a blast.

Thanks for your thoughts. Smallmouth instead of Smallpike makes the decision pretty easy for me. The slot doesn't bother me since I mostly release anyways. Are there any patterns as far as what kind of structure the walleye in Lida prefer to set up shop for the summer on? I won't be able to drive around very fast from spot to spot with the h.p. that I'll have, so any tips could be save me some time. Thanks

I was on Star all of last year (rented a cabin) and I bought a trailer on Lida at the end of last year and have fished it every weekend since. I would agree with the others. Lida is more consistent catch... a few walleyes throughout the day. But, Star can be a blast... IF the bite is on... and from my experience that doesn't happen all too often (we had three days where we limited out all of last summer). As far as spots is concerned, Star would be a good bet. Most of the walleye holes are pretty close to each other. Lida has a ton of structure and unless you know the lake or have GPS, you would spend most of your time trying to find it or staying on top of it. I would probably recommend Star. This time of year a lot of people have luck right in the little bay where the North access is. If there are boats fishing in there (or not I guess), you could always start there. Next, I would definitely leave that bay and go to the point directly out from the North public access (there are two bouys marking what I am talking about). There is a huge flat out there goes along that whole "peninsula" as well as jutting out to the East. I tended to catch most of my fish falling off the North and the East sides of the flats. This time of year was much better than mid-summer. If the fish aren't biting there, there is an island directly east of there, that can be pretty decent also. Start between the island and the North shore and fish to the northwest along the shoreline. And if all else fails, out front of Rocky's "store" in the North bay can also be good. Start a little bit East of Rockys and work your way West until you reach the little "point". If you should choose to go to Star, be careful going out from the North access. About three hundred yards out (or so) it get really shallow (a buoy is marking it). Stay to the left of the buoy about 100-200 yards. I always slowed down... I don't think the prop would ever hit anything, but it always made me nervous going through about 4-5 feet of water.

I fished Lida Today. Got lots of Big Walleyes. that was the problem, there is a slot limit, nothing between 17"-26" with only one over 26. I got my 16 7/8th and threw back several over 20 inches today. Caught all of them in the middle of the day pulling #11 purple taildancers in 32-36 fow.

[image]colorfixedfixedwalleye.jpg[/image]

32-36 fow of water is deep. Were they suspended in that water? What other presentations seem to work good on Lida in the summer?

No, they were on the bottom hanging out. I was dragging raps infront of their eyes. I saw some guys fishign some humps yesterday with jig and minnow but Did not see much activity there. I noticed however a lot of traffic out there.

I agree with you guys. Star can be fun when the bite is on, bu6 can be a dead sea as well. Lida is the better everyday lake and can be a lot of fun.

My thought is that Star has slipped a bit over the past 10 years where Lida seems to be about the same or gotten better.

Good luck.

nice fish Paul.

nice to see someone out there is catching some fish. I wish I just even had a chance to get out... frown.gif

Dead,

I was happy to finally put some fish in the boat also. I haven;t been out much with this screwed up weather and high price gasoline. It was fun day. I was wearing full coveralls and rain gear at 7am and into shorts and teeshirt by 3pm. weird day.