Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NoviceFisherman

Rainy Lake/Kettle Falls Fishing Report

5 posts in this topic

Long time reader/first time poster.

Just got back from a 5/18-5/20 fishing trip while staying at the Kettle Falls Hotel. The fishing was better than average. Caught 1 Friday night, 9 on Saturday and 10 on Sunday. Trolling golden Shad Raps at 1.5 to 2.0 MPH was the best. Jigging wasn't too succesful on Friday night thus we switched to trolling and never switched back.

Hotel accomidations and staff were great. People in the hotel bar were more than willing to share their secret spots - I've got tons to learn about this lake after about 5 years fishing there. Seems everyone was doing better during low light conditions and some were catching fish in deeper water (~40ft) with jigs.

Cormorant Bay on the Canadian side was the best but trolling any point (MN or ONT) in 15-25 ft depths will produce fish. We averaged a fish every 10-15 minutes in our boat on Saturday and about a fish every 30-45 minutes on Sunday. The biggest Walleye was 22-1/2" and the biggest Northern was 38".

Had a meal of Walleyes on Saturday night otherwise we threw everything back (including the Torpedo).

This forum is great!!! Keep it up everybody.

Wayne (Green 16' Lund with the black 60Hp Evinrude)

PS Going back up to Crane/Namakan in June and can't wait.

Very awsome report been there many times in the past few years, good hear the hotel staff is still good to people. What size raps were you using?? Im leaving for Stokes Bay Thursday, and use the portage I'll have to try trolling the RAPS I' post my trip when I get back!!!!

P.S I agree what a geat forum lets keep it up!!!! keep your line in the water and your livewell on!!!! HARD WATER IN THE ALUMACRAFT NAV

Sounds like you guys had a good time! Thanks for the great report!

We used the Shad Rap's that were one size bigger than the tiny one (Ours were maybe 3" long).

I forgot to add that almost every fish caught was only hooked by the trailing treble hook - they hit very light. Most times I thought I ran into weeds when I actually had a fish. People fishing with jigs were complaining of many misses and thought of adding a stinger hook.