• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Crossbows now legal

harvey lee

I'm really suprised that the law has changed to allow crossbows during the regular firearms season without any extra paperwork.

Me too. However, I'm not going to complain. I dig it!!!

I am supprised that you dont need to pay a $10 charge for this, There has to be something in it for the govt.

I listened to a few discussions on the matter and in the eyes of the DNR, a crossbow is more similar to a firearm than a bow. They are ok with crossbows being legal during the firearm season.

The same DNR representative said they will not allow scoped muzzleloaders or crossbows for archery. They insist the point of those seasons is to have a "primitive" season with primitive weapons. Even though bows and muzzleloaders are becoming more advanced, they didn't believe that was reason enough to liberalize the requirements. They like them where they are and is the technology improves than they will deal with it in the future, but they don't want to allow more modern technologies.

I personally don't want crossbows in the archery season, but I do NOT have any problem with using them for firearms. I may even consider trying it.

I don't think too many people will go out and buy a crossbow to use during rifle season. I have a permit for using one for bow season and the only reason it would come along for rifle season is just in case we tag out and my bow tag is still good. You still would need to wear full blaze during rifle season. I can see it being fun if you don't rifle hunt or already have a deer or two down already though.

I think what happened is that allowing crossbows in the firearms season was a compromise, the original bill wanted to allow crossbows in the archery season.

I guess I'm ok with crossbows during the gun season but I can see where it just going to heat up the debate of allowing them during archery season. Other states like Ohio allow them during archery season.

I hope this allows more people to become familiar with crossbows. Maybe only a few will use a crossbow, but many more may see, and question the crossbow user about his hunts. Maybe even take a couple of target shots with the crossbow.

I hope this, because what I overwhelmingly noticed during the discussion of HF bill 1421 was that most hunters against crossbow use during bow-only season had little or no experience with a crossbow themselves. Most of the hunters who had both crossbow and bow experience were for allowing crossbows during the now bow-only season.

I got the impression from the discussion on bill 1421 that most hunters with the ability to use either weapon, would use a bow. Also that it was likely that many hunters first taking up a crossbow were very likely to change later to a bow, after seeing that it is a more favorable hunting weapon.

I can't say for sure that I will use a crossbow this fall, but it is good to have that choice to do so in the future.

I've shot a few crossbow's and think that it's alright if you choose to use one in the firearm season but do not think that they should be allowed in the bow season (except by those that incapability to use a bow). A line has got to be drawn at some point

jameson, why are you interested in people trying crossbows? Do you sell them?

From the logic of the DNR a person should not be allowed to use a crossbow during the archery season even if they can not shoot a bow.

Otherwise, under their logic, if you could not shoot a bow then you should be able to have a firearm.

BLACKJACK, I believe variety is the spice of life. I wish to hunt with a rifle sometimes, a sluggun sometimes, a bow sometimes, a crossbow sometimes, a pistol sometimes, a muzzleloader sometimes....show me how to use an Atlatl...

I'm not really against any particular weapon, rather just for them all.

No, I don't sell them.

teal, I'm not sure which logic your trying to use, but up until now the use of crossbows in MN has been limited to those who are handicapped and can obtain a permit because of it. It allows those who normalls wouldn't be able to conduct a regular hunt where they must draw and hold a bow before the shot.

I think its perfectly reasonable.

The DNR's logic, that I have interpreted from conversations with Conservation Officers and the DNR's rep at the legislature, is that they want the Archery and Muzzie seasons to stay a primitive season. Thats why they were created for hunters who were looking for something else. They do not want to make it easier to kill something by opening up the definitions of what a bow or muzzleloader is. If the technology becomes too advanced, then they may need to make it stricter, but they don't want it to become too broad. Hence the restriction on scopes on bows and muzzleloaders. Also the restriction on night vision.

If you are a convicted felon who can not have a firearm could you use crossbow during the gun season? I would think so.

I'm not a convicted felon, just a curious poster.

DD

So all I found on this new law was a one sentence line in the Star Tribune saying they'd be legal for regular firearms. Any other information - like if this is a one year deal? I guess I can e-mail the DNR.

I've toyed around with the idea of getting one if they ever made them legal for firearms, not because I actually think it gives that much more of a substantial advantage over a bow, but because I think it would be one more way to hunt.

I've done a lot of research on game and fishing web sites and concluded the range isn't that much more than a bow. For instance, I limit myself to 30 yards max right now with a bow and from what I've read on crossbow mfgr and hunting/fishing boards, you've got about 40 yards max with a crossbow if you are being reasonable/ethical. One possible clear advantage could be accuracy or "pinpoint" accuracy at longer ranges if the readings hold up to be true.

In any case, I plan to investigage. Still not sure how I feel about them being in archery season, but I can see no reason why they shouldn't be allowed in regular firearms.

Quote:

So all I found on this new law was a one sentence line in the Star Tribune saying they'd be legal for regular firearms. Any other information - like if this is a one year deal? I guess I can e-mail the DNR.

I've toyed around with the idea of getting one if they ever made them legal for firearms, not because I actually think it gives that much more of a substantial advantage over a bow, but because I think it would be one more way to hunt.

I've done a lot of research on game and fishing web sites and concluded the range isn't that much more than a bow. For instance, I limit myself to 30 yards max right now with a bow and from what I've read on crossbow mfgr and hunting/fishing boards, you've got about 40 yards max with a crossbow if you are being reasonable/ethical. One possible clear advantage could be accuracy or "pinpoint" accuracy at longer ranges if the readings hold up to be true.

In any case, I plan to investigage. Still not sure how I feel about them being in archery season, but I can see no reason why they shouldn't be allowed in regular firearms.

It's permanent until the legislature decides to change it. Functionally, crossbows are legal during the firearm season if you have a valid firearm license. Here's the exact statute:

[97B.036] CROSSBOW HUNTING DURING FIREARMS DEER SEASON.

Notwithstanding section 97B.035, subdivisions 1 and 2, a person may take deer by crossbow during the regular firearms deer season. The transportation requirements of section 97B.051 apply to crossbows during the regular firearms 18.1 deer season. Crossbows must meet the requirements of section 97B.106, subdivision 2. A person taking deer by crossbow under this section must have a valid firearms deer license.

They have NOT been classified as a firearm, you just need a firearm license to hunt with one and they're only legal during the firearm season. For example, if you have a Zone 1 firearm license, you can use a crossbow during the Zone 1 gun season (Nov. 3 - 18).

I hope that clears it up.

Thanks lcornice. Good point about its permanent until they undo it. I doubt they would, though. You can never say never, but it's hard logic to argue that you shouldn't be able to use a crossbow during gun season when it may actually decrease your odds of bagging a deer. Anyway, just wanted to make sure it wasn't a one year trial or something before I looked into dropping some $$$ on a crossbow. I was actually in the local sporting goods shop the other day looking at some. They are pretty cool just to hold and aim. Looking forward to trying some soon.

The more I have thought about it as well the more I am thinking I would not be upset if they allowed them for archery season. Again, I do not feel the advantages are that superior to a compound bow. In fact there are a few disadvantages that could cancel them out. Anyway, think it would be one more enjoyable method of hunting.

I threw in the 'until they decide otherwise' because they did that this year with the rifle/shotgun line. They changed it last year and changed it slightly again this year. The legislature giveth and the legislature taketh away!

Quote:

The more I have thought about it as well the more I am thinking I would not be upset if they allowed them for archery season. Again, I do not feel the advantages are that superior to a compound bow.

I think one big advantage of a crossbow would be the fact that you don't have to draw it back, its already cocked. One of the first things you learn in bowhunting, usually the hard way, is that drawing your bow back unseen and unheard can be tough, its when a lot of people get busted. With a crossbow you wouldn't have to worry about that. Combine that with the increased accuracy and range of a crossbow and you have a more efficient, deer killing weapon than a compound bow.

So what you say, they want us to take more deer anyway. That may be the case around the metro area and other parts of the state but thats not the case in central and western MN, lots of hunters are saying that we're killing too many deer. So then you introduce the crossbow to the archery season, they'd have to cut down the length of the season/restrict tags in some portions of the state and I don't want to see it, I like the season just the way it is, 3 1/2 months, from bug-biting heat to hand freezing cold. I don't even like to see crossbows in the firearms season, its a foot in the door.

Also, with the increased ease of use of a crossbow, more hunters would pick one up to try and partake in the archery season. That would mean an increased harvest, meaning more restrictions, and also more competition for spots. I read on a different website that Ohio, where crossbows are legal in the archery season, the crossbow deer kill has started exceeding the compound/stickbow deer kill.

This is very true. Hopefully not the latter. Would be interesting to get into the pros/cons of crossbows period and in archery seasons but don't feel like it today. : )

Just perusing this thread again and noticed the comment on scopes not legal on bows and MLs. Aren't red (Contact Us Please) scopes allowed on bows currently? I thought so. I thought the rule was just that nothing could be projecting light outward at the animal and a red (Contact Us Please) scope is not the same as a laser scope that points a laser beam onto the target.