• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anchoring in windy conditions?

eyebjim

I have been out on the pond the last two weekends. I have had good success with drifting/trolling but I have been finding it very hard to keep the boat anchored in the heavier winds. I have a 17.5 ft creasliner and 2-20 lb anchors (navy style).When I bought the boat they assured me that 1-20 lb anchor would be more than enough. They were wrong. I see many other people with larger boats staying put while I am dragging bottom (unintentionally). Does anyone have any recommendations on what I should be using for an anchor(preferrably one)to keep stationary in all or at least most wind conditions.

Thanks for any input.

Jim

Make sure your anchor rope is long enogh for the correct angle[at least 45 degrees more if you can]. If the line is too short the barbs of the anchor won't hook the bottom.

Get yourself a Waterspike and at least 100 feet of rope and you'll never have the problem again. You can check them out on the Cabelas website.

I have a question related to anchoring. Do I need some chain on the end of the rope before the anchor? Does it help keep you in place?

I also have a waterspike and it works well for me. The reason for using chain above the anchor is because the rocks can shred the rope.

actualy the reason for the chain is so when the waves lift the front of your boat it does not lift directly on your anchor i use 3 feet of heavy log chain a general rule of thumb is 3 x more rope than the depth of water the anchor is in

If it's really windy than anchoring is a great way to swamp your boat. Be very careful! One tip I would recommend is to get the bungy chord and put that between your anchor and the main rope. This will help absorb some of the shock and possibly a wet boat. Mine is about 6' long and has a yellow casing to keep the chord protected. I'll check around to see where you can get one but I would guess that most sporting goods stores would carry them.

Good luck,

Corey Bechtold

A Waterspike is a must on Mille Lacs, 100' of 3/8" dia, solid braided rope, 3' chain tied first to anchor, and another must is to lash it on the bow of the boat. This will provide less resistance your boat has against the waves. You may swing a bit more, but that's not all bad either. Many boats do not have a bow cleat, I have added one on the boats I have owned. Right now I run a 1890 Warrior, and can hook up 95% of the time.

I usually tie up on the front and let out alot of extra rope. When anchoring in 10 FOW I usually let out 35 feet or more. Cory is right about anchoring in rough water, it is dangerous if the waves get big enough. They were big enough this last weekend. Watch the waterspike in rocks though, it can get wedged in there. Trust me, I am speaking from experience, there is a waterspike on Indian Point. frown.gif

I had an 18lb Richtor anchor with the 5 spikes on it thinking that would be the cats meow.

Well that 25-30 on Saturday evening blew me loose off the Graveyard 3 times and then i gave up.

Also, i run the rope thru the front bow (trailer strap hook) and then attach on the side cleats...to keep nose into the wind.

i use 2 digger anchors, one on 100' of 1/2"dia, and one on 165' of 3/8". one day last fall it took me 3 tries with both anchors to anchor on the spot on indian point. there were 3 to 4 foot waves. once i caught it stayed put pretty well. using two anchors gives it a little less swing. after all the work to get it anchored, i learned the hard way, its also best to anchor from the starboard side so the stearn light doesnt interfere with fishing.

regards,

minnesotatuff

ps: muleshack, there must have been some pretty big waves on graveyard on saturday! its darn hard to tell when you have a bite in such wind.

The water spike is the ticket, I agree. However, you can also use those two anchors by heading into the wind and tieing one off each front side. It helps to pull ahead, drop anchors and slowly back up to get the anchors to grab. I have easily gotten my 2150 baron to hold in 25 mph plus winds this way. Ditto on anchor rope length. You need 100 feet for each anchor. If it's 35 mph, you are better off being off the lake.

It was surprising, but for the wind that was howling, the waves didn't seem all that big in comparison. Dont get me wrong, they were still coming over the top (or darn near) when we were moving around with a 185 Tournament Sport.

As far as the bobber... you'd see the bobber, and next thing you know....the line would be moving....Set the hook.

I think i'll have to get one of those anchors too.

I haven't been using a chain on the anchors. That sounds like a good idea. I seem to loose traction when the bow is lifting in the waves. I think I'll go and pick up a water spike anchor and a good chain. Thanks to all for the help on this. It's quite frustrating when 20-30 boats around you have no problem holding on a spot but you can't.

Jim

You guys should check out the "Anchor Buddy," if you don't want to add chain.

I have used this product on a buddy's boat and it worked great! he attached it to anchor and then attached it to his main achor rope. It helped eliminate the anchor from dragging. Its available at Amazon.

All excellent points. Waterspike is the best. You can also "steer" your boat slightly when you have missed your mark. I am talking about when you want to be in that certain spot off a rock pile or something. You drop your line, drift back, only to find you are left or right of where you want to be. Just hook your anchor to the port or starboard forward boat cleat. You will move left or right some. Not so good when it is really windy. You still swing.

This is what works for me on all lakes, including Mille Lacs. I have two 20 lb. anchors. One of them has a four foot rope with a connecting hook. The other has 75 feet of rope. I attach the hook of the short rope anchor to the rope of the other anchor, just above the anchor. I then let out from 50 to 75 feet or rope, depending on the depth of the water. So I essentially have two anchors on one rope. The tension on the anchor with the short rope is parallel to the bottom; it does not get lifted up at all. For that reason, it will dig in and stay there without getting snagged too badly. This works for me, but I may not fish in waves as heavy as some others. I have never left an anchor behind with this method, but I have been forced to do so with other approaches. You will swing back and forth with this rig, but I don't mind that because I then fish with jigs or rigs over the side. cool.gif

Tosyop swaying the anchor on the front let out 30 extra feet drop 2 nd anchor off back pull both tight fish fairley hard works on winnie in a lot of wind.

I went and bought a water spike along with 3 feet of coated chain and 100ft rope per the sugestions of several on this post. I was a bit sceptical that an anchor with that little weight would hold. Well I went out to Mille Lacs this weekend and tried it out. I was out on a reef on the Northeast side on Saturday evening. It was windy. When I got out there it was probably 20 MPH wind out of the West. The anchor held. I was happy since I had never been able to anchor in anywhere near this much wind. The wind just got stronger and stronger and it never let loose. There must have been 25 to 30 MPH winds before I went in. It was very impressive that I had not had any problem staying anchored. I squeeked out 2 24 inch and 2 18 inch eyes on a gold 3/8 jig that seemed to be the only thing I could keep down in that wind. It was a lot of fun (I love big waves). Thanks to eveyrone who gave me sugestions on this, it worked very well.

Good luck to all.

Jim

to make a long story short. i hurt my back in april so the 35 pound navy anchor was out. i picked up the largest waterspike and chain and i use 200 feet of 1/2 inch rope on all anchors. tuesday the 23rd was the first time out fishing in my boat this open water season and mille lacs had a good blow going on. not any worse conditions that the 35 pounder didn't hold on. that anchor never slipped in 3 years of fishing in some big blows. got to my first spot and put the waterspike down and it hooked up right away with about 120 feet of rope out. 5 minutes on the first spot and i was draging through the fish i was on. that waterspike did not hold my boat, a 2025 lund. i tied the 35 pounder back on the next morning, no problems since. the reason that i got the waterspike was i had one in my 16footer and it worked great. i fish with steve fellegy and he used a waterspike on on his 1800 lund last year and it hooked up and held that boat every time in many big blows. the model i got is rated for boats up to 30 feet. hopefully steve and i can get out in some wind after the pwt and test it out and see if it is operator error or if it just won't hold my boat................tom fellegy

Monday AM couldnt hold 620T ranger with 28# navy w/ 75' & 18# river anchor w/50'. Just bought biggest waterspike,5' chain & 100'- 1/2 rope. I sure hope I didn't waste my $$. Wont be on Mille until 6-9 weekend to give it a test. Any bets that the wind will be light & variable & I wont be able to give it a test?

eyewarrior

the waterspike with 3' of chain and 100+ ft of rope is the way to go!!! The spike can be tricky to get used to as to feel the hook-up but once it is holding they don't go anywhere from what I have seen.....

I too bought one after all the pub on here...

Used it Monday afternoon in the wind. Locked up on two different spots on the first try...Never let go.

The trick seems to be that you send it down and then feel it hook up and then keep the line taunt until the boat puts the load on it.

Two thumbs up here!! cool.gif