Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wdgold

Whitefish Chain?

7 posts in this topic

I will be going up memorial weekend and would like to know what lakes generally have a good population of bullrushes for spinnerbait casting for bass? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

wdgold,

I've seen the vast majority of shoreline on the chain, but I can't recall any real good stands of bullrushes. There's some areas with cattails and a lot of lilly pad areas. Arrowhead lake on the NW corner has plenty of grass and possibly some rushes. I believe the N side of Upper may have some wild rice beds.

I have had great success casting weeds on a smaller chain of lakes just south of whitefish, actually on opener i caught my first 20in bass on that lake fishing for pike. I usually through jig heads with grubs or long worms at the weeds and bounce them back and thats where i have found most success.

There are not alot of bullrushes on the WFC. There is a very good bass population however. I have had pretty good luck casting boat docks and channel areas with spinnerbaits. As mentioned earlier, there is some wildrice beds on the north end of upper Whitefish. My cabin is right there and it is good for bass also. You shouldn't have too much trouble finding Bass, Walleyes are another story. Good luck, I'll be up that weekend as well.

Daggett and Little Pine both have good populations of Bass. During opener you can find them shallow, and soon after that they will be on the deeper weedlines. The key to catching Bass on those two lakes is to concentrate on the docks. If you take a jig and pig and just work your way down the shore line, you will catch some bass.

Don't forget Clamshell Lake lots of cover and a few 20+ inch bass every summer. You get to it by going into Bertha from Whitefish. I have also had good luck in the timber areas of Isle Lake on the East side of Whitefish. Good luck and tip one at Moonlight Bay for me.

see whitefish opener thread