• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I fished it on sat and sun. I caught a ton of real small eyes. caught one 15" eye on sat and one 17" eye on sun. the rest were real small. The DNR was out there on sat and they said no one was catching anything.

That seems to be the problem with Cedar right now. Everything is real small. The Bass, Crappies, and Walleyes. It's probably due to fish kill over the years. The lake needs another 3-5 yrs before becoming worthy again. Although there are still some nice fish to be caught occasionally.

There's nothing wrong with the bass in the lake but the crappies and sunnies are stunted and have been for the last 4-5 years. Either that or my standards are too high. grin.gif I know the DNR is looking into the stunted panfish situation but I wouldn't hold my breath for a solution. Walleyes are stocked and I've only caught smaller ones. I think a weed walleye technique might produce a little better but the stunted sunnies will destroy any bait you have during the day so it might be a night fishing gig. Cedar is not a "goto" lake for catching a limit of semi-decent 'eyes on a regular basis. You'll catch a couple here and there and that's it. In my mind bass are the only real game in town on Cedar.

I'm not convinced that it is a stunting problem as it is a fishing pressure issue. When one considers the pressure these lakes see it's a wonder there are any numbers of 12-14" crappies or large walleyes or bass, unless they are regulated ( like the bass in Clear/Waseca)Any time the word is out that a perticular lake has a "bite on" of any given species, it gets decended on & it doesn't let up until they are gone or the bite is really off, look at Elysian. You have to consider how long it takes to grow these fish vs. how long it takes to take them out. We all know many of these lakes have the potential to grow large fish, but keeping them there; there is the hard part. Everyone has their right to their limit of each species in their freezer; how many of us really needs that much? Some maybe do. Personally I would sacrafice a few more meals of fish to have a greater population of larger fish in our lakes.I know regulations are easier said than done & not everyone appreciates them. Maybe they've never experienced the feeling of catching a really nice fish, then letting it swim to be caught another day.

Just my two cents. L2f

I remember this lake to be a great crappie lake maybe 10 years ago. Crappies would bite on anything you threw at them back then. Now its hard to buy a bite. I did manage to catch some nice walleye by accident with bass style spinner baits last year while bass fishing the shallows.

Quote:

I'm not convinced that it is a stunting problem as it is a fishing pressure issue

Fishing pressure is precisely what caused the stunting. There are a ton of 6-8" crappies in Cedar and I can catch them at will. Just watch the electronics and throw out a marker when you see fish. Then throw mini tubes at them and have a heyday.

The problem now is that there is so much competition for food with all the stunted pannies that I don't think any will have a chance to go to any size. Not coincidentally, the fishing pressure for sunnies has gone way down the last 2 years.

You are absolutly right,if we could keep the "sizable" predator fish in the lake it may help the small panfish population, but now we are talking regulations again. The DNR has it's hands full trying to keep a good growth balance in these lakes with the action these lakes see. It's tougher to find the next up & coming lake for any particular species before word gets out, because then it's just a matter of time & it's out of balance & it's back to square one. L2f

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.