• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Steering Cable estimate

archerystud

Question

Got a call from the marinia and they want $600 to replace my steering cable. How much has anyone else paid for this?

I have a 99 Nitro 175 Sport with a 115 Merc.

They told me it was mostly labor and that they had to take the motor off to get the cable out. Just doesn't seem like it should be that much so I'm wonder what other's have paid. However, if I have to take the motor off I doubt I'll be able to do it myself.

3 answers to this question

Seems a little high to me... it all depends on how many hours of labor they have into it though... I sure wouldn't think it would take many more then 4.

And yes, depending on the boat you will have to take the motor off the boat. When I've done this in the past I haven't disconnected any of the wiring, just unbolted it and lifted it high enough to get the new steering cable into the motor tilt tube.

It's a pretty straight forward job, just kind of time consuming.

marine_man

I just replaced mine in my Sylvan 1600 with Johnson 90hp. My old 14' rack and pinion system turned out to be obsolete so I also had to replace the pinion assembly mandrel. The new cable is a planetary gear type system. I too was told the motor had to be removed. Well, I'm too stubborn so I proceeded to do the work myself.

Anyway, the cable assembly cost me just short of $140.00. I did not have to remove the outboard. I disconnected the cable and was able to pull the end rod out through the rear deck and around the corner. It was a tight fit but with the right turn angle I was able to do it. It took me about 2 hours but I had some difficulty fitting the new mandrel into my console.

If my motor would have been any closer to the side of the aft deck I would have had trouble pulling the rod out of the motor bracket but I believe I would not have had to remove the motor, only remove the mounting bolts and slide the motor to port a little to gain the room needed.

Bob

I don't have much play in the motor since it is mostly locked up. Also not sure if I can get any help from the neighbor since he just threw his back out and is on pain medication.