Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
crappiehunter99

Lakes on the Horshoe chain with walleye?

13 posts in this topic

Are than any lakes on the horseshoe chain that have good sized walleyes?

I find on the chain one could catch a decent eye on Horseshoe, Long, Cedar Island. I was in Horseshoe west of the mob Saturday and boated a 27" eye and a couple of 18"s they are there just need to locate them.

Swabby

Thank you,I am probably going to get out on Long Lake this weekend. That 27" must have been fun to reel in. laugh.gif

crappiehunter99 - I don't fish the chain much, but do know that Hawkeye from the forum spends plenty of time on the chain chasing walleyes. Hope he is able to reply back to your e-mail.

I know they are out there, but like it was said early locating them is the big key.

You'll find the bigger eyes in all the lakes on the chain. This time of year I like to work the river sections as well. I didn't make it out last weekend but there are plenty of nice eyes in there. If you're catching lots of little guys move on as you won't find many nice ones mixed in with the little guys.

The past 3 years I've caught more than a dozen eyes over 27" and they are all still in there as far as I know. Don't be afraid to check out the shallows. Some of my nicest fish in the chain have come out of less than 4 feet of water. A couple of them on texas rigged plastic worms fishing for bass. laugh.gif

Good Luck!

Thanks for all your replies. This will give me so much needed confidence because I haven't caught any walleyes on the chain yet. At least now I know they are in there.

CH99, we boated a number of them earlier this week, jigging near the 22 bridge before sundown. Not much for size, but it was a blast catching them.

The whole chain system holds nice eyes the key is just locating them. Some of the better more consistent lakes are Horseshoe,Cedar-Islandand Long. Don't rule out fishing the river sections, which I personally prefer this time of year. I will stress shallow right now, the water is stained and alot of the fish are comeing from water depths 4-8 ft. Last night and today I got into a few released a 22 and 23 incher all came from 4-9ft on a jig and minnow! If your targeting bigger eyes pull cranks the next couple weeks and you might tag a few!

I was able to catch two eyeballs on long lake using a slip bobber rig and leech. One was 14.5 and the other was only 11 I threw the 11 back. Thanks for all your advice.

Crappie, those sound like normals for Long. I have to agree with the shallow bite. On Long the water was real clear on opener could see down to 9 feet. That is very unusual for Long. I haven't been out since opener as I have been down in FL (had to get my sea water fix) for the past few days. The fresh shrimp was supreme as I remember and at $5.00 a pound it was even better laugh.gif. I will be on the Chain Thursday night through Monday (on vacation this week) so if you see a 1750 fishhawk with 75 tiller stop by and see how I am doing.

See ya all on the water.

Swabby smile.gif

I will also be out on the chain this weekend. I have a old lund w/ 50 Evinrude. I caught those 2 eye in 10 ft.

This weekend was exceptionally good to my wife. She was able to catch a 18, 20, 21, walleyes there were also some smaller ones in there too. These all came off of Long Lake. cool.gifgrin.gif I think I was more excited for her than if I would have caught them myself.

CH lots of little ones caught this weekend. Need to get some of these folks to throw back those 10 inch fish. I saw a lot of little fish cleaned over the weekend. So the spouse gets fillet of fish and you get leather shoe. Just let her know you were giving her a break. laugh.gif

Swabby