Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smilee_54

prop shaft seal

7 posts in this topic

hey guys I am tring to replace the prop shaft seal on a 1966 18 horse fasttwin. I have everything taken apart. I can't seem to figure out how to get that seal off of there. It almost seems like its pressed in any advice would help thanks

Refresh my memory. Didn't the 18 hp fasttwin have the split gear case?

yes it does I have the shaft out and the gears just trying to figure out how to get the seal off

My old chrysler had a seal in the bearing cage that I worked on for 4 hours before I could finally get it out. I was sure the carrier was built with the seal in it. A combination pliers was the perfect tool. When I got it out I used a deep socket and pounded in the new one instead of using an arbor press. Yours might be different. Hope this helps.

I just did this to two outboards last year and have one waiting to be done. I'm having a hard time picturing the seal. Yes its pressed in, a coat hanger with a small hook should be able to grab the seal and work it out. Post a picture if you can or send it to me.

yea I kinda hashed it a little bit useing a screwdriver to tap it out but its didn't work I will try to send U a pic here when the childrn go to bed

pics were sent to your yahoo address surface tension thanks