• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What a great weekend for fishing. we spent our time mostly on pine point with a couple dozen other boats. Saturday morning, many people were netting multiple walleyes with most of them being 20"+ and also a number of good eaters. there has also been a good perch bite. the crappie action in the last week has slowed but the ones that are being caught are 10-12"(very fun). most of the walleyes we caught were on jigs tipped with a shinner, but some of the other guys did quite well with crawlers.

How did everyone else do? what worked well for you? Did anyone try for any pike?

Now that summer is back I hope to be hitting the cabin more frequently (gas $ permitting) and will be posting updates as often as posible. GOOD LUCK...

We where up on the big pond also. We had very good luck as well caught our limit of slot fish as well as a hand full of large fish. One of the better openers for leech in a long time. I hope the lake is coming back.

Thanks for the fishing report, I was wondering how fishing went. Pretty nice weather considering it was the opener.

Worked on the cabin and grounds all weekend so I did'nt get out fishing but am planning on giving it a go on Memorial weekend. Probably will try pine, cedar,for walleyes as well as sand in the evening.

Know what you mean about the high prices of gas shocked.gif I put on about 450 miles round trip, but the good news is my pkup has been getting 18- 21 mpg, on 89 octane and driving sensible.

Best opener in many years, both weather and fish. I started the day up around the Hardwoods, moved around a lot. Picked up a couple off Pine in the afternoon. Had a nice dinner and finished the evening off second point. What a day!

Did not see a single pike, on my line or any other--and we covered some ground. Strange....

I was guiding for the governors opener and the guys in my boat wanted to run and gun... We went from Bear Island to Ottertail to second Duck to Hardwoods to Pine to Stony and back to Huddles... We found a ton of pike with some real nice jumbos mixed in... We caught a few walleyes, but it was a tougher bite for us on them...

I agree awesome weather and the press Leech recieved was awesome for the community.... Chip and the committee did a fantastic job on presenting Walker and Leech Lake to the state of Minnesota... I was ready for a good nights sleep on Saturday night... It was a long three days leading up to the opener....

Beef

Fathead Guide Service

Glad to hear that some of you caught fish. We got going late, but my dad is 88 and my mom is 81. We stopped for breakfast first and did not get an early start. We started at Joe's Landing area along with about 40 other boats. Did not land a fish. Did not see any others caught. Went to east side of Goose and may two drifts into shore, nothing. Went up to north end of Sucker to try for some crappie action, nothing. Came back and worked hardwoods, nothing. Saw the boats on Pine, but did not go over there. Went to Cedar, nothing. We caught 3 very nice perch. We never saw a walleye landed. Talked to 4 other parties. Three got nothing but some perch. The 4th did well. But, I see a comeback.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.