Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Eye Slayer

Dago and Wolf Bays

10 posts in this topic

I will be up on the Big V the week before Mem Day. I have never fished the mid- to upper- parts of Vermillion before and that week we will be staying at a resort in Dago/Wolf Bays.

My wife and I are looking to catch some Marble Eyes and Water Wolves - the illustrious pike (or to the Finns up there, aka a Houkie!).

If you have any techniques or areas where we could/should focus, please let me know. I am hoping to put the wife on some fish so when we have kids, we can keep the fishing tradition alive and well in them!

Thanks in advance and I will let you know how we do and what worked/didn't!

We did ok this weekend fishing in shallow water in Pike BAy but i think by next weekend they may be out in the deeper water.

Eye Slayer,

Jigs and minnows or Lindy Rigs with a 3' leader and a plain bait hook baited with minnows or leeches fished on the bottom in 24' to 40' of water will get you walleyes.

White spinner baits worked over the tops of old or emerging weeds or rocks in shallow bays such as Wolf Bay will get you plenty of Pike action.

Good Fishing!

Cliff

Eye Slayer,

Call me crazy but my wife catches northerns by the ton with anything pink. Last weekend it was a pink jig with a minnow. Next time will probably be her favorite pink bucktail. I swear she is the pike queen. All last year in the spring time we would hit the weedy bays and she started this pink thing. It looks like this year is working also. Just for comparison, I caught one northern last week compared to her whatever a whole bunch is. I will not throw pink, I will not throw pink, I will not throw pink mad.gif

I caught a pike last May on the west end trolling for walleye one evening on a pink Fuzzy Grub.

Cliff, thanks so much for the advice. I figured the pike would be pretty easy to find in the mid-Spring, but the adivce on the walleye is much appreciated.

One last question - would it be beneficial for us to venture out beyond Dago/Wolf/Niles Bays into perhaps Frazer/Smartz to the south or Wakemup to the West? Or is there a decent enough walleye bite nearby for my wife to get on a couple marble eyes?

THanks again for your willingness to offer advice! I really appreciate it. And not that you would need it, but if you are ever over in the Leech Lake area looking for info on some of the small local lakes, let me know. I might be able to help out...

Eye Slayer,

Frazer Bay is usually as far West as I travel. I have had very good luck fishing there! smile.gif

Do not hesitate to try new water if the area that you are fishing is not producing! There are usually walleyes biting somewhere.

I do not get up to the Leech Lake area in the summer, but the winter time is a diffetent story. I really love to catch crappies and sunnies thru the ice!

I have a son who just moved to Deer River and is working in the Hospital there so I may be spending more time up that way now! grin.gif

Thanks for the offer! Any advice or info. will be greatly appreciated.

Cliff

Fair enough! Thanks again and like I said, if you are looking for any pointers, I might be able to help you out.

Tight lines and best of luck on the season!

Quote:

One last question - would it be beneficial for us to venture out beyond Dago/Wolf/Niles Bays into perhaps Frazer/Smartz to the south or Wakemup to the West?

Wakemup and Norwegian Bays to your west are great walleye country.

Hans - thanks for the tip. If you would be willing to share any specific spots or tactics that may have worked well for you in the past there, I would greatly appreciate it. And as I offered for Cliff, if you ever need recommendations on where to fish in the Leech Lake area, let me know...