Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
iowafishing

getting to and from canada

10 posts in this topic

Hi guys.

I got a question, What kind of documents do I need to get into and out of canada this year? I know that next yerar I will need a pass port. But I've heard and read from differant sources that you need a birth certificate and the next article says all you need is a picture ID. I figured you guys up north would be the better source to get the whole truth.

Thanks for your time and keep on fish'n

iowafish

The Canadian authorities will usually ask for a photo ID and a valid driver's license has always sufficed for me. No offense meant by this, just an FYI - anybody in the vehicle with a past DUI will complicate matters considerably, up to not getting in.

Here is more info: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel/visitors-e.html

Last year our car got through by just showing our photo id's. The other car in our group that was right behind us had to show ID's and birth certificates.

I would just spend the $15 to $20 and get a copy of your birth certificate and bring it with you just incase.

ok so no passport is needed but what about getting back into the USA from canada, do you need your passport to get back in?

Only if you are flying (then you would need one to get into canada also). They (USA) are stating once again that you will need a passport in 2008, but keep posted. They have been stating that for several years now.

This year I figured one might as well get the passport as one will need it so many other places and its only time and you will need it everywhere.

$15 or $20!!! Can't I just copy my cert on my own copy machine???

You could but they're really not credible unless you have an official notarized copy.

Correct, needs to be notarized from what I have been told. That goes for just about everywhere.

A buddy and i got into canada with our drivers licenses and thats it. didnt have trouble at all either way.