• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

area walleyes

i will be going to college in st cloud next year and i was wondering what lakes are good for big walleyes... im lookin for the big ones. thanks.

if you're after big walleyes, I'd say save your $ and make some trips up to Mille Lacs when you have a full day or weekend to devote to it. Probably your best bet IMO.

Are you going to State?

yes i am going to state.

But i have been to mille lacs many times and im lookin for a lake a little smaller because my boat gets beat around too much, without losin any fish size.

to be honest with you, if your looking for the consistency of big fish like mille lacs? There really isn't one, numbers wise anyway.

If you want to stay a little closer to home i would give Big Birch a try it's no Mile Lacs but there are some nice eyes' to be had. I would not overlook the ol' mississippi. Spend some time learning the river between the rice bridge and the sartell dam and you can catch walleyes all summer long. Another favorite spot of mine is lake Zebulan (above blanchard dam)Many ppl over look it but one of the best fisheries in the state runs right throught our backyards.

thanks for all of the advice,i will definatley look into these spots

If you want numbers of fish try Clearwater- you may even catch a big one here and there. If want size try Slyvia. It is a very clear lake so night fishing is your best chance. My neighbor has 6 10# on the wall from there and could have more, but, he releases everything over 20"

Quote:

My neighbor has 6 10# on the wall from there and could have more, but, he releases everything over 20"

???? Did you just say six, ten pound walleyes? Maybe I don't know what i'm talking about but is that a little piggish? confused.gif Hopefully I am not understanding you correctly

Yes, but that is over about ten years, he has released well over his far share of big fish, only keeps one for mounting if there is something unigue about it. And no its not piggish.

Let me explain-- These are fish he or his kids have caught. He has not kept a walleye over 4# for around five years.

Sorry if I through you off.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Many of the lakes around St Cloud hold trophy eyes. Not lots of trophy eyes but they are there. If you looking for lots of big eye Mille lacs is the closest good option.

Quote:

Let me explain-- These are fish he or his kids have caught. He has not kept a walleye over 4# for around five years.

Sorry if I through you off.

I was hoping it wasn't just one dude with that many big walleyes, if his kids have caught some, NBD. I just thought it was a little strange to have that many of the same size fish. Once you mount a 10 lber, I would think it would take a 11 lber from there to put on the wall... and so on. Sorry I blew up.

I agree with THE DONK if you already have a 10 lber on the wall way do you want another 10.Why not make a have a replica made my be a little more money but at least you keep the big fish in the lakes so the next generation will have fish to be caught.

Donk is right. I have a nice football eye mounted. I wouldn't have mounted it but it was hooked DEEP and bleeding when I got it up to the boat. It was 25" but weighted in at 7.9 pounds. I have caught several in the 29" class at Lake of the Woods but have released them.

The better half also stated that it would cost to much to have another fish mounted the last one also cost me $400.00 for my yellow lab shocked.gif and she doesn't feel I need a mate for it smile.gif

I also agree with the releasing as I have 2 young grandson's that I want to be able to take out and let them have an opportunity to catch a nice eye.

Swabby

Well my cousin goes up to SCSU and I'm attending there also next semester. But there are plenty of good spots for eyes up in the SC area. Plenty of good spots for nice eater eyes but not throphy eyes. And as many have said if you really want throphy eyes Mille Lacs is the place to head up to. But you've got plenty of deep lakes that hold eyes in the SC area and plenty of spots to fish on some of the rivers that flow through the area. My mom managed to catch a 30'' Walleye and got away no net no picture frown.gif but my two cents.

Sugar can put out some nice fish. I have done well with cranks trolling the weedlines. It would surprise some people that the middle of a sunnny day during the summer can be effective. As always the wind blowing in is KEY!!

Hey Donk, Swabby and Tiller-

Do you guys have an area walleye lake you like to fish or recommend? Thanks for letting us all know your high standards! It would have been great for the lake(s) those fish came out of to have those fish but who asked either of you what you thought. Start a seperate subject so you can all complain to each other and the rest of us can bypass the negativity and hear about some fishing.

You don't have to go to Mille lacs to catch big eyes. There is a lake south of St. cloud about 15 miles. Lake Maria, the boat ramp is just out of the town of Fairhaven. Try longlining shallow rapala's over any of the points. And stay close to the weeds. Our old Gov. Jesse Ventura used to have a place on that lake toward the south end.