Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Blaze

Hey Gunflint...

3 posts in this topic

Heading up your way the 2nd weekend of June this year for my first trip to Gunflint Lake. Have a few questions for you:

1) What tactics produce best on Gunflint for June walleyes? With the 20' water clarity, I'm expecting low light periods to be most productive with Lindy's or trolling cranks at night?

2) We applied for Canadian permits too so we can paddle in across the lake if we want. Can you recommend any day trips over there for smallies/'eyes?

3) How active are the lake trout that time of year? Never fished 'em and thought it might be a fun change of pace.

Hope all is OK in your area. I lived on Vermilion during the fires there back in '92. That was a bit nerve racking at times.

Thanks,

Blaze

I wish that I could be more helpful but I don't fish Gunflint lake much. Just for the reasons that you mentioned. I would recommend getting a hold of either Bob Baker at Gunflint Pines or one of the Guides at Gunflint Lodge when you get up here. They know the lake a lot better then I do. Good luck.

Blaze, I'll be up there about the same time you are. If the wind is permitting I'll hit up gunflint during the week. It'll be my first time on the lake during open water...I caught a 9 pound laker out of there this past winter. They are pretty active and easy to catch in early summer. So if you see a guy in a 14' aluminum accompanied with a bored out of her mind g/f trolling spoons or jigging frozen ciscos it might be me.