Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SWMuskeye

Minnetonka Opener

14 posts in this topic

I was debating about heading up to the big pond this weekend, but since things are looking like they'll be soggy, I will probably do Minnetonka this year again.

Last year, the fish were awful deep, some deeper than 30 feet on the opener. What do you guys think? With the cold front supposedly rolling in this weekend, do you think they'll be hanging low again?

Mark Stanley, I know you probably have the best grasp on general areas that the walters will be roaming. What types of structures do you anticipate the fish will hanging onto? What do you think about the depths this year?

Thanks for the insights

You don't have an open seat or some info on tonka eyes on opener do ya? I've been in the metro for 2 years now and have figured out the bass, pannies, and muskies fairly well, but I haven't had much of a chance to chase some eyes, and since I'm not gonna be able to make the ritual trip to winnie this opener i'm looking to head out to one of our metro lakes for eyes and i really don't know what to expect. I've seen some great pics and heard some great stories, i just need to get out and try it myself and i would love a helpful hand. Thanks!

I am going to try Minnetonka also on opener. I have no real experiance on the lake but am going to try everything i know. I am going to pull lead deep to try to find some pods of fish in the 20-30 ft range and then maybe work with jigs or rigs to work on top of those fish. I am all ears for ideas on tactics to try.

fishuhalik,

Sorry, I don't have an open seat this time, otherwise I would be happy to lend a hand. I will be in the 16' boat this year with 2 others and it'll be pretty tight.

I'm sure someone else out there would appreciate the company. Hopefully someone posts here and you can hook up.

I will be fishing the lower bays, and deeper water around diamond reef. Drag the narrows at dusk, and other channel areas. I also like the deepwater during the day around Gale Island, and at night the shallow rocks there.

I have not fished Tonka on opener for quite awhile.The last time I had success was using a bottom bouncer with a leech or crawler almost vertical drifting/trolling over 11' the weeds were just starting to grow. With the bouncer just ticking the weeds. Also a jig and minnow on the outside weed edge normally 17 to 18'. Or my favorite bobber fishing an inside turn in Browns Bay 18'. This produces until the pan fish go deep and you can't use live bait. Normally you have to sort thru the smaller fish.

Great article on metro walleye in the Minnesota Sportsman (May issue). Section on Tonka sounds like it might be worth a try.

I saw that in the Minnesota Sportsman too...those will be spots to avoid now....I thought it was funny how he suggested you would be "all by yourself" on those metro lakes...hardly....

dido that!

I really want to fish, is it worth going out at midnight on tonka to start?

how crowded is tonka on opener? Thinking about going there or a smaller lake with eyes. Just not sure if its a madhouse or not

thanks

Last year it wasn't a mad house. I think a lot of that had to do with the weather. If you're out at midnight, you should be fine, or just get there by 5:30. Avoid the major launches and you'll be fine.

Quote:

I will be fishing the lower bays, and deeper water around diamond reef. Drag the narrows at dusk, and other channel areas. I also like the deepwater during the day around Gale Island, and at night the shallow rocks there.

That's the game plan I'd use but iI would add a little shallow longline trolling over the weed edges after sunset especially those with sand on the inside edge. Also throw cranks like #5 shad raps up shallow. Key on shoreline attached structure - the mid lake stuff has never worked for me this time of year. Tonka is not usually crowded in the early AM for the opener but evenings can be another story. Good luck I will be heading north on Friday to a friends cabin for a change of pace from my usual opener.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I really appreciate it. I know the lake's got some great eyes, but there's just so much structure it's just overwhelming! Believe me, I'm not a novice by any means, but w/ 91.1 miles of shoreline I think just about anyone could feel a little intimidated!

I'll probably be out there.