Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mr d

transom ....not good

10 posts in this topic

working with my dads' aluma 16" clasic. was adding some wiring and a transducer...noticed the motor is not properly bolted and will not secure.( the wood must have rotted under the housing). SOOO do i cut and tear apart or add some stainless to resecure properly? the motor is a 30hp. please advise/recomend thanks

It is a time consuming job but best solution is to replace the wood. You can add a plate to reinforce it, but ti will still be a rotten transom, wood will eventually rot completely and disintegrate and you'll have to do the job again.

Mr.D I see you in Willmar-Spicer alot I replaced a few transomes,as you can see I'm on Diamond,May be get a look at it sometime help ya with advice anyway.but seein it is better than guessin! cool.gif

argh.....so pop all the rivits to gain access. have you done this b4? and how do ya re-rivit or stain less screws

thanks...more than willing to run it over for some seasoned advise. thanks

Could get alumimun rivits need the right size,its not hard or too time consuming,making the wood transome is the hardest I believe its oak,sparcebag0 at yahoo.

Take the transom apart starting with the cap. Most transoms are made of plywood. A solid piece of wood will crack along the grain when stress is put to it. The plywood will be much stronger under stress. A lam beam works great for transoms.

When your done with that you'll have to figure out why the transom rotted. It'll be because the transom cap or outboard bolts weren't sealed.

Surface; Ply is most likly too soft unless ya get 1&1/4" comericial flooring then a whole sheet is costly,The perfect material is honduran mahogany,most of it here is mexican its also soft,I'd guess the transome is 1&1/4"2 laninated 5/8s oak opposite grains.The rot could be dry rot if it was sealed good.Marine ply would work also but for 1&1/4" I think you'd be looking at $150.00 a sheet that may be conservative.I tried ply on mine I replaced it 2yrs.later it was all mushed up where the round motor clamps were on it.But it should be replaced with what was there.

i plan to also have a plate made too, in effort to dispearse the tension.

live and learn. so

are you staying on your lake for opener? or off the dock? luck you!

Ya I put a metal plate on mine also! Fishin off the dock,crappies came & went 3 weeks ago wont really fish till Mon. or tues. then its opener for us retired folk.