Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stick in Mud

Fishing Lakes with Little or No "Structure"

2 posts in this topic

Hello all,

The title of the post is referring to those lakes, prominent in this state, that are round, shallow, and lack rocks, timber, humps, drop-offs, etc.--the stuff that makes fishing easy! (Ok, easier.) The lakes in this area that immediately come to mind are Pearl and Grand, both of which are full of fish.

I have been fishing these lakes for quite a few years now and I always do OK, but I have a hard time finding concentrations of fish (walleyes and bass, especially). While on Mille Lacs, the Birches, Little Rock, etc. I can find concentrations of fish, yet I have a hard time finding places that consistently hold larger numbers of fish on lakes like Pearl and Grand. I can always find fish, but they usually seem to be spread out on weedlines.

So, my question is: How do you guys find numbers of fish on these "basin" lakes? I usually troll weedlines (for walleye, bass, and pike), bobber weedlines for walleyes, or worm them for bass. And I do catch some. I just feel like I'm missing something.

Thanks!

I can only comment on Pearl regarding bass. The key to Pearl is the type of vegetation. If you can find the broader leaf vegetation, you need to fish the edges of it with something slow. When the water hits 80+ you need to use slow falling lures such as a senko, small tubes, and jig worms. There are fish in there, but you have to work them. Also, if you can find a "hook" in the outside weed edge, work it well, since there are normally fish around it.