Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
strat-o-caster

Camcorder opinion

strat-o-caster

Hey guy's and gal's I need some opinion's. Looking to buy a new camcorder. Lot's of chioces out there. Do I go DVD, Mini-DVD, Hi-8.. I'm not going to look into the new memory card one's, To much money... Thanks Strat

vern

I recommend Mini-DV tape if you plan to do any editing on the computer. The DVD formats offer quality video but it's more compressed & slightly less quality that Mini-DV tape. They're not really suited for most video editing software but convenient if you just want to watch the raw video. I'd avoid Hi-8 at this point, although there are a few affordable Digital-8 cams still available. With the Digital-8 cams you can record digital video on Hi-8 tape. It's a good option for someone who has lots of old Hi-8 tapes and wants to get into digital recording & editing. But make sure you get a model that plays both Hi-8 & Digital-8 if you plan on watching & editing those old tapes.

tgff009

Besides recording video, what are your plans? Do you have plans to editing, etc? or just save the raw footage for another day?

I had the same questions you did and I ended up buying a hard-drive model. The reason I did this is because I wanted to get my video on to my computer for editing, storage and burning DVDs. The hard-drive cameras offer the easiest interface to a computer as they come with the software and cables needed to pull the video off the camera (think digital camera). You can do this with a mini-dv tape as well but you need to buy the cables, you needed to have a firewire port on your computer, and it takes a long time to pull the video off the tape (for every minute of video it takes a minute to pull off tape). The down side of the hard-disk camera is you need space on your computer. I added a large external hard-drive to my computer to store photos and video.

If you have no plans to edit your video, I would go with the mini-dv tape. The prices are reasonable and I was told that the video quality is better than HD and DVD.

vern

Sorry, I disagree with your last statement. Most people who are serious about video editing are using Mini-DV or DV tape with Firewire. I'm not talking about just copying video but actually editing it. This topic came up a couple months ago here:

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=987312&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

If you're just going to copy your raw footage to a DVD then a hard drive cam is probably an alright choice.

tgff009

Vern - I'm interested in hearing why the HD cameras are okay for burning DVD's but not if I want to do editing. I'm not a serious video editor (family stuff for fun) and think it's pretty easy to do and I have a HD camera.

strat-o-caster

Thanks guy's for the help so far... Strat

pastfan

I dont know how much you're looking to spend but I saw this on G4 the other day--very nice unit for around $550. Has ability to record on HD or dvd, and since each format has obvious pros and cons, this covers all your bases. Here are the specs.

Hitachi DZHS500A

# 680K CCD, 30x / 1500x, 30 GB Hard Drive (HDD), (11 hours fine / 23 hours std.) HDD and DVD Hybrid

# Easy Dubbing

# Advanced Drop-proofing

# USB 2.0 Connectivity

# Multiformat+ Compatibility

# True 16:9 Widescreen

# Cinema R

-Hope this helps