Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishroger

channel from gull to round lake

6 posts in this topic

For your information. Thought I would launch boat at gull access this morning and go thru channel to round, big mistake! Going into channel from Gull there is only about 4" of water at most, grounded myself and wind was pounding in from west, got unstuck fortunately , waves were pounding over the transom. Go to round access and launch, its shallow, you will get feet wet launching and loading boat, hip boots would help and keep you dry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quote:

For your information. Thought I would launch boat at gull access this morning and go thru channel to round, big mistake! Going into channel from Gull there is only about 4" of water at most, grounded myself and wind was pounding in from west, got unstuck fortunately , waves were pounding over the transom. Go to round access and launch, its shallow, you will get feet wet launching and loading boat, hip boots would help and keep you dry.


I noticed this winter that the channel seemed to be frozen solid. I don't ever recall seeing that. In fact, there is usually open water on the Round lake side, but once it froze there was never anything open. Possibly because of how shallow it is. Not a good situation. We need some precip, but we are down so far that it will be really tough to make it up. Isn't Lake Superior down like 1.5 FEET since last year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is an article in the paper today saying Gull Lake is at a "summer high" level right now. I would think the level would be the same in Bishop's creek.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quote:

There is an article in the paper today saying Gull Lake is at a "summer high" level right now. I would think the level would be the same in Bishop's creek.


I haven't read the article, so that would mean it is low for Spring correct? Since the water drops during the summer. At least that is how I would read it, having not read the article.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quote:

We need some precip, but we are down so far that it will be really tough to make it up. Isn't Lake Superior down like 1.5 FEET since last year?


I read somewhere last year that Lake Superior lost the equivilant of a Mille Lacs Lake's worth of water last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I heard that the round lake proprty association has gotten approval to dredge the channel this year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0



  • Posts

    • Barefoot
      I just checked the cedar Island Access there was about two-and-a-half to three inches of ice
    • EyeChsr
      Not sure how much ice, but guys walking out with portables in the bay this morning.
    • timjones
      Took a drive around the lake today. The only open water I saw was in the middle out from Holiday Resort. Rest of the lake was covered with ice. When I got home I went out to check the ice thickness in front of my place. Went out about 5 feet from shore and chopped a hole with the spud bar. Measured 2 inches of ice with my measuring stick. Went out to about 15 feet from shore, chopped another hole and measured just a hair under 2 inches. Went out another 5 feet and brushed away the snow with my boot as I had done with the other holes. Hit the ice with the spud bar and all I could hear was cracking going off in every direction. Retreated to the shore. Going to give it a couple of days and check again. Hope we don't get that snow for Saturday night and Sunday.
    • Ymmit
      Yeah I thought if that. Just looking for other opinions. 
    • Ray Berg
      Check craigslist see if there are any boats like yours on there. If so how much are they asking.