• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

LGC - 3000 Issues

mtreno

Question

please help -

got everything installed per directions and did a test run in the driveway. my old unit - with old puck gets a signal right away (within 5-6 seconds like normal). my new unit with the 3000 takes about 10 minutes to get a signal. my house is in a wooded area and dont have the best overhead view so i decided at that time thats what the issue was. but, it made me wonder.

well after a long fishing weekend..... i never got a signal once. it would show some signal from sometimes up to 6 sources. but never locked on once.

the puck is mounted about 6 inches to the right of the dash and about 8 inches behind the unit. open and clear above, in front, and to the right.

tried setting my location - is there something else i should be trying? could i have a bad puck?

thanks for the help

13 answers to this question

What is your new unit did the LGC-3000 come with the unit? I ask this but I think it was you that was trying to do some networking a month or so ago and your stuff didn't all work together. Are you sure it is compatable with the 3000. That is a brand new receiver just came out this year. I don't know if it would be compatable if the depth finder is even a year old. Last years LCX25's and 332 still ran the LGC-2000

Assuming that you have your unit properly wire/installed, I'm guessing that you have the puck to close to the unit. 3' is the recommended minimum. Good luck!

ya that was me - except that i did not want to swap out to the new networking system. the old stuff worked fine i just needed a new unit.

the unit is a LCX - 112c. it reads the reciever and gets signals just never enough to lock on. i guess it could be too close to the unit but it is about 8 inches away.

I guess I don't know what to tell you other than to check your connections take them apart and put them all back together.

Are you networking an older unit with the new one? Or are you just trying to use the new unit by itself? You should get a signal even if your view is partially blocked, but your accuracy may be a little worse. Read your manual on setting up a network, and use the Y-cable rather than the backbone system if you don't plan on connecting a bunch of accessories or using it with another unit. Tape off each wire individually on the the newtork power plug that you don't use, to prevent shorts. You will need to install the new updates for both the GPS and unit on your older model for them to be compatable in a network and be able so share waypoints, etc. Did you wire in both the power supply to the unit and the network? It the GPS/network power correctly hooked up to a power switch so that is turned on or off.

My LGC-3000 worked great for the first 3 times on the water on my GlobalMap 5200C and then this last time "Could not find GPS" error kept on coming up. I went to Gander in Eden Prairie and they let me borrow a LGC-3000 to see if it was the puck and sure enough it was a bad puck. I have sent in the bad puck to Lowrance and waiting for a return they said it could be up to 3 weeks before i get it back.

I was not very happy since opener is only a week and some days away.

nope just the one unit - not networking two or more together. y cable was used. power to both unit and reciever. switch for power to not kill batt. everything done by the book - i think i have a bad puck - dang it!

Did you also use a networking "T" with your hook-up or did you just use the "Y" cable? What if any terminators are hooked to the set-up? 651-308-8315 Maybe I can figure out the problem and talk you through it.

Based on your problem I think you have a networking issue or a defective cable in your network. On the Y-cable you should have the 60-ohm terminator on the shorter length part of the cable, and the longer one should be connected to your gps. Does you unit have the current updates? are you using any extension cables?

yep thats how i did it. no extension cables used.

i did see today there is a new update for this unit they added to the website just a few days ago. reads that its not a fix for this problem but i am going to update my unit when i get home. also going to recheck my cables.

i have a call into lowrance as well as a email sent. see if they can help at all. Greg, i may be calling you later when i am in front of my boat - anything you think i shopuld try let me know.

thanks again everyone - i will keep this post up to date when i find my issue. in the mean time i am open to any ideas.....

You indicated that you are receiving a signal from some satellites. This tells me that your puck is working fine. With my LCX 113cHD and the 3000 antenna, I experienced the same thing that you’re describing. My antenna was only 12 inches from the unit at that time. I then moved it about two feet from the unit and things have worked flawlessly since. I suggest giving antenna relocation a try. Good luck

well here it is -

after trying a new puck and many other trouble shooting ideas with my local boat repair man we found that the unit was just to close. 8 inches - to close. 1 foot - to close. 1.5 feet - better but still to close. ended up putting the puck at the rear of the boat and sure enough now it works fine. my boat guy said this was the first one he had be this way. even said that most of them they mount right behind the unit on the dash under the windshield and they work fine...... anyway to anyone else having this issue - move your puck as far away as possible. thats what solved my issue.

my other unit still using the old puck (which is right next to the unit) still gets a faster signal - so much for the powered unit being faster but at least everything is working now. cool.gif