Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BillP

NEEDED: "No Slip" for treated wood

11 posts in this topic

When treated wood gets wet it turns into green ice. I have not been able to find a product that will make it slip resistant. The old sand in paint won't work because it just sands itself off. I did have some luck with a two part epoxy paint and sand. Something that could be applied with a brush or roller would be good or a mesh of some kind that could be stapled down. With all the decks and ramps and docks, you would think someone would have come up with a solution.

I would think some of the paint on bedliner that has a rough surface would work.

I've never tried this on treated wood before, but have you thought of the non-slip shower liners?

I know places like 3M make some for industrial uses (sticky on one side and almost like a sandpaper on the other).

Just a thought.

Quote:

I've never tried this on treated wood before, but have you thought of the non-slip shower liners?

I know places like 3M make some for industrial uses (sticky on one side and almost like a sandpaper on the other).

If you need any of these let me know....

I just painted the basement steps at a rental unit w/ Kilz slip resistance. I chose a grey color and it is pretty rough. Worked very well on that wood and would put it on again. On wood that will get wet alot, I am sure you'll be fine with 2 maybe 3 coats. Hope that helped a little.

Herculiner is a bedliner kit that you can purchase at such places as Menards and Fleet Farm. I have used it for a number of different applications. I personally haven't used it on wood, but I know that you can. I've been very pleased with it.

I picked up some of the 3M brand "no slip" applications for my boat trailer and they work well. The packages I picked up (it was the 2" x9" design)were actually designed and marketed for steps in/out of hot tubs. Instead of being a sandpaper or hard texture, it is more of a rubber grip texture. (Does not hurt or tear up the bare feet)

They'd be a good choice for a dock...especially with the barefeet.

Outdoor carpeting!

The stick on applications have a sort of contact cement as a glue that works well on non-porous surfaces but not worth a darn on something that the wet can soak up from below. First the edges come loose then they just come off. Perhaps if they could be applied with a waterproof wood glue they might work. I am replacing some of the boards in the most critical area with plastic deck boards with the grooved side up. I will let you know how it works. I also want to try that truck bed liner idea.

menards sells strips of metal mesh with diamond shapes 8 foot by 28 inch for $ 8 I found it in the building materials section and I think it is for under mortor or stuco. You can nail it down to the wood and is easy to cut

Put down a heavy coat of deck enamel. Coat wet paint with a heavy coat of dry,washed sand. After paint dries sweep off excess sand and recoat with deck enamel.

For heavy traffic areas put on a secont coat of enamel/sand/enamel. We use this to create non slip decks in the navy.

I used this on a plank walk way on my boat trailer and other projects with good success.