Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gunflint

Ice Out on the Trail

6 posts in this topic

The ice is about 90% out on Swamper and about 70% out on our bay. Man, it's been a long winter.

Gunflint, time to tie on new line. Seems like the older I get the longer winters last but yet time goes by quicker. Figure it out.See ya in a few weeks

Good to hear from you again panhead. The main lake is still about 70% covered but should be clear by the weekend. Overnight temp last night was 22.

I'm expecting a slow opener unless we get a heck of a warm spell. I'm guessing that the walleyes will just be finishing up spawning, so slow and shallow on this lake anyway. I'm going to order a gallon of Rainbows before opener (if I can get them past homeland security) so let me know if your going to need some, gunflint

Gunflint, I "ve stopped at Dicks, in Two Harbors, for years now for bait, so Ill be ok for bait.Thanks. I plan on doing some trolling for lakers if they"er still in the upper water column. Northlander gave me some trolling spoons last fall that he thought might work for lakers on your local lakes.Never fished Hungry Jack, Bearskin, Loon and the only time in 30 years I was on Gunflint Lake it got windy and I had to get off the water after only and hr. or so. Plan on fishing these during the day doing some trolling and educating myself abit.If the walleye catchen starts off slow I"ll do more of this. Perhaps you "d like to tag along on an off day? Give us a chance to catch up after the long winter just past. It looks like it will be me and the dog again on this trip. Can"t find anyone that can get three weeks off of work or that is interested in spending that much time up your way. Go figure? See ya.

Gunflint:

What lake are you on up there, what's it close by? I'm heading up to Northern Light Lake this Friday to open up the cabin for the season. Was just wondering about ice-out up around the border?

Thanks,

gonorth

According to the GTA (Gunflint Trail Association) all the lakes on the trail are open.