Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
bigeyes75

New to Mille Lacs

bigeyes75    0
bigeyes75

I am planning a trip to Mille Lacs at the end of May. We will be staying by Garrison. Was looking for a little help on areas to fish and also what presentations work well at this time of the year. I have fished Mille Lacs several times but it has been on Charters and at night. This will be the first time I have used my own boat up there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

eyebjim    0
eyebjim

I would head just south of garrison (via boat) to Saint Albans bay and drift the 15 to 24 foot countour of this bay or any other bay close by with a drift sock to keep you slow. Live bait rigs with fatheads should do the trick. You will need to use a 7 to 10 foot snell to get the most bites.

Good luck!

TrophyEyes    0
TrophyEyes

Very similar to eybjim said, keep it slow (have even used 2 drift socks), long leaders and work until you find them. I like leeches and a small glow beed personally. I wouldn't hessitate to Slip bobber fish some of the rock piles either. May be a little early for blades, but it depends on the water temp. June and blades are deadly. LONG LEADERS are the ticket.

You can get a lot of info from reading past posts. Look at some of the Opener fishing tactics and early June conversations and you should really understand what to do. You will catch fish whatever you do, but the numbers really can be impressive if you are doing it right.

rodmaker    0
rodmaker

You should have a blast!!!!

Depending on the weather, they may still be on the deep Sand. If not head out to the Mud. If there is a good wind, anchor and slip bobber fish with leeches and tiny glow jigs on the rock reefs.

Like trophyeyes said, long leaders. 7-9 ft. Plain red hook and a single bead. (red, chart, or glow). Spinners may work, maybe go to a smaller size. Water temp is the key.

Read the posts here before you go. The info. here is awesome!!! Alot of good reports, and presentations on what's using to catch them. make sure you have a drift sock.

Team Otter    0
Team Otter

Good information.

There will be plenty of reports to come.

rodmaker    0
rodmaker

Getting to be "just like a little kid at Christmas time". New lines on the reels, going through the tackle box. later on this week, pull the boat out and get it running and clean it up!!!! cool.gif

I would guess you'll be up there opening weekend??? Where???

TrophyEyes    0
TrophyEyes

I am not a happy camper. I am no longer coming to Mille Lacs for opener. I have to go to Pelican with my dad. I don't remember suggesting that, but apparently Dad needs help. The problem is that he is not a rain or shine fisherman, so I could potentially be fishing by myself. I may have to take off Monday as well just to sneak over to Mille Lacs for a couple hours with my father in law.

bigeyes75    0
bigeyes75

Thanks for the info. I will be up there on the 17-20th. Does anyone jig or do people many drift? Also, are you fishing slip bobbers off the bottom or suspended? Thanks for the help.

TrophyEyes    0
TrophyEyes

Slip bobbers with a small jig and a leech, right off the bottom.

Jigged once to no avail (not to say it won't work, because I am sure it would), lindy rig on a drift works for me.

rodmaker    0
rodmaker

Slip bobber just off the bottom maybe 12 - 18 ".(Depending how deep) small glow jigs that have the red hooks.

I enjoy drifting though.

rodmaker    0
rodmaker

TrophyEyes - not good news!!! I remember back 10 years ago when I had a Wedding to go to. It was almost like attending a Funeral though.

Maybe we can hook up some time this year for an outing!!!!

TrophyEyes    0
TrophyEyes

Rodmaker, I swear you and I team up all the time to answer these questions.

I forgot to mention, use medium sized leechs on the bobber set up and a bit larger on the lindy rig.

Blaze    0
Blaze

I've had decent luck the first couple weeks of season with jigs & shiners or fatheads. Again, the key with the jigs has always been TAKE IT SLOW, whether drifting, or anchored and fan casting/bouncing it back to the boat.

rodmaker    0
rodmaker

Yep!!!! Seems like it. Get's a guy pumped up. You have alot of good info also!!! Any chance on getting a day on the pond with you this year??? Always nice to fish with someone new and learn a few tricks!!! grin.gif

Team Otter    0
Team Otter

Yes, I'll be on Mille Lacs for the opener fishing the N end sand. Depending on water level, I'll more than likely be putting in at The Red Door.

addicted    0
addicted

I've always fished the lower east(so of big point) and south side, I'm putting my camper at a resort on the north end by Malmo, where do I begin for Eyes and muskies?

Team Otter    0
Team Otter

The area between Barnacle Bill's and Knox Point is tough to beat.

TrophyEyes    0
TrophyEyes

Rodmaker, I would have said yes. However, my wife and I are expecting our first child and my fishing trips have decreased dramatically. I may make it up there once or twice for the day but those traditionally are with my dad or my cousin. I will definately let you know if I decide to pop up there on a whim (aka, pretend like I am going to work and head out to the pond).

By the way, once we get into the season I can email you some good info and GPS coordinates. My cousin fishes a couple tournaments on Mille Lacs and is pretty good at knowing the not so known spots.

rodmaker    0
rodmaker

TrophyEyes,

Congratulations!!!!! I have two Son's, but they are older. One 20 and one 13. I'm 46 (Old Fart).

That would be sweet if you could give me some GPS help.

Maybe we could get out for a Fall Crankbait trip.(Sept or Oct.) I have never done this on The Pond, but I've done this on other lakes. Got a pretty good supply of Shad Raps & Husky Jerks (still building) What are some of your favorite colors???

Let me know if an "opportunity " comes up earlier.

I check this web site daily. Here's my e-mail address when you get more "GPS help" or any other info. for me. mpothen@intricon.com

Congrats again to you and your wife!!!!! It's going to be "a keeper"

Harmonica Bear    0
Harmonica Bear

Quote:

The area between Barnacle Bill's and Knox Point is tough to beat.

10-4 that.