Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
COfisherman

Rainy Lake Resort Suggestions

9 posts in this topic

I am new to the forum and have to say that the people appear to be great and offer a lot of good information. I will be coming to I-Falls in late May to fish Rainy Lake and was hoping to get suggestions on where to stay. I am going to stay on the US side and have narrowed my selection to either Thuderbird or Island View. I will only be staying for one day and will be fishing for pike and walleye (or anything else that bites). From my searches on this site, I have read mixed reviews on both places. The reason for choosing between these two is because I was looking for a place where I could dock my boat for easy early morning access and the this area just looks secluded (with Voyageurs right across the way) based on the maps I have been looking at. I guess my main concern is good access to fishing close by as I only have a 25HP motor. I sent an email (quite long) to Bill at Rainy Lake 1 stop asking a few questions but forgot to ask about lodging.

Any suggestions and or information is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jamie from Colorado

HI JAMIE,

HAVE YOU CHECKED ON AVAILABILITY ON THESE PLACES, I WOULD BE VERY SURPRISED IF EITHER HAVE VACANCY., MORE PEOPLE ARE REALIZING THAT RAINY IS 1 OF THE TOP LAKES TO FISH ON THE PLANET., MAYBE THEY DO HAVE ROOM, BUT I'D CHECK.

SINCERELY,

FISHMEISTER

Hi Jamie,

Both resorts would suit you fine, and I'd add Woody's resort to the mix. Woody's Fairly Reliable Guide Service is the sponsor for this site. Woody's is located in sand bay thus you will have good fishing close by if your concerned about limited mobility. If you are only going to be here for one day you may want to consider a guide for part of it as the May timeframe has humbled many of competent fisherman. Our water is quite low this year, and this will likely diminish current in tradional locations for early season fishing. Regardless of your location to lay your head you've picked arguably the hottest fishery around for your excursion. Good Luck and Good Fishing!

Thanks guys. Both places did have availability but it did help that I was only staying for one day and on a Thursday. I have selected Thunderbird based on my two conversations with them. Both ladies were very nice and friendly while that was not the case at IV. This is something I have been looking forward to for a long long time, I just wish I could stay longer but I will take what the new wife will give me. I was considering a 1/2 day guide, but becasue my expectations are low I will be happy just being out on the water in my boat. I will now continue my research on this great area. Any info on fishing close to Thunderbird (i.e. grindstone) would be appreciated. Thanks again. Jamie

Black Bay, is primo for good size Walleye and Northern that time of year and its a short jump around the corner from the T-Bird. Grindstone doesn't start good until a little later, but its good. E-Mail me if you want specifics...good fishing, Dock

COfisherman

Welcome to Fishing Minnesota & Hot Spot Outdoors. Enjoy & ask any questions as everyone is more than willing to help out.

Again, Welcome.

I have read a lot about Black Bay but from the phone calls I have made up to the "locals" I am a little worried about the rocks and such. I will at least cruise down in there to see how many boats there are. I really appreciate the info people have given, it has helped a lot.

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

Yes it is true you do want to be a bit careful in Black Bay especially due to the low water conditions this year. With that being said this area arguably will be your best bet with little experience on the lake to go out for a day and catch a variety of nice fish. First off Black Bay may be misleading to its size as it is actually a very large portion of Rainy. It is a predominately shallow water up to about 13 feet. Most fisherman will troll raps and spinner rigs. I would suggest taking it easy without any guidance, and take a good look at your lake map. Gold hammered spinner rigs are a long time tradition up here, but I'd also suggest trying a glow blade. You can either troll, drift or cast them from an anchor position depending on what you like to do. After pinpointing some active fish, don't be afraid to have a slip bobber set up. Due to the shallow water this often times can be a very efficient method to keep your presentation just off the rocks, and pound the fish! Good Fishing Buddy!

Rainydaze - you chasing pike today or tomorrow? email me -

uffdalouie at msn (Contact Us Please) com if you'd like company.