• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

big stone

My experiences was that the bite was tough but not non-existent. It seemed like the better concentrations of fish were north of Hartford Beach on the SD side. Rocky shorelines, current breaks and slip bobbers in shallow water was the ticket, although the ticket didn't get you much. smirk.gif

Saturday the bite was tough for us. Had some friends do well up north. Sunday morning we had a decent bite from shore. another group next to us caught a 29inch female. We ended up with a few eaters nothing huge. Watched many fish splash in the rocks shallow, assuming they were spawning first time I have seen this. Most people I talked to had from 0 to 3 fish. Best report I heard was 7 fish from a couple guys up north. Dirtiest water I remember on the opener.

A buddy & I were shut out... tried at midnight from a rocky point on MN side & caught one bullhead... Went out for about 5 hours on Sat with no fish. Then fished a couple hours Sunday AM with no fish. We bounced all around the middle section of the lake & tried everything from jig & a minnow in shallow to drifting through the middle. The only thing that kept our sanity was that it appeared most other boats were having the same lack of success. We did not see a net go in the water on Saturday & we saw one walleye get caught off of Mallard Point on Sunday morning.

Thats funny the only thing we caught on friday night was a bullhead at about 1:30, I guess that would have been saturday morning. We had too many waves and a strong current along with the stained water for the bobber fishing to be effective friday night. People were having good luck after dark on saturday night. I was busy watching Nascar. I was going to fish after the race but by than the storms came in.

we caught one walleye on saturday and missed two up to the boat on sunday. Only seen 3 fish caught by other anglers around me. Was not good for us at all.

Had 3 buddies staying at Schmidts Landing limit out on Saturday pitching jig and minnow into the shallows. They fished all day on Saturday, all fish were caught in 3' of water or less. Unfortunately, I picked this year to miss out. The last 2 yrs I think we spent a total of 6 hours on the water combined due to the weather. Sounds like Saturday was decent.

Sounds to me like the fish were in the midst of a full spawn according to some of these posts.....Sutty said he saw and heard fish splashing in the shallows---that must have been pretty cool. Classic example of fish in doing their thing (spawning). I'm curious if anyone tried the far north end and/or if the water is real dirty up there this year. Last year the north end was like chocolate milk the first month of the season. Anyone try 1-4 miles north of Mallard Point?

We ran a couple miles north of Mallard Point near a tall silo on the SoDak side. Clarity was no better. Fishing was real slow. Only action seemed to be around the rock points near Schmidt Landing where we stayed, and that "action" was real slow too. We pitched jigs and small rapalas to the shores most of the time. Nice day on the water though. The females were still full of eggs so the reports of the spawn are accurate.

With the spawning reports as such, it sounds like that May 5-6 weekend could be primetime with the feed bags on, or soon thereafter. It looks like another week of favorable weather with temps in the 60s so hopefully the females spawn out this week and they're ready to go by the end of the following week. Big Stone could be the ticket for the Minnesota opener.

We had about the same as everyone else.

Daughter did catch a few white bass and some friends we were with caught some eyes, bite was extremely shallow.

Best luck I heard was banging #5 shad raps off the shore(literally).We stayed at Schmidts also, seen the guys that had the beautiful stringer on Saturday. Still was fun, good friends, good conversation, cold beer.

Kaz, finally got your messages after we left, my phone was a paper weight while I was out there.

Congrats to whoever had a nice limit. They were the exception to the rule. Yes, we caught fish but we really had to work. They tasted good. grin.gif

Fishing was terribly slow on Big Stone this past weekend. I went to the honey hole at midnight friday and nothing. Saturday morning caught a silverbass. Saturday night spent most of it watching movies with my daughter then around 1030 went to the watering hole for a report won around 150.00 on video poker so wasnt too bad of a day. Sunday morning couldnt get a bite. didnt fish sunday night. Monday morning finally picked up 2 walleyes about 17 inches. I think in 2 weeks the walleyes will be on a feeding frenzy.