Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bassNspear

Sauk Lake

15 posts in this topic

Do alot of people fish this lake? What is the population of fish on this lake?

I have never been on it, but i would love to go and fish it. Just like ot have a bit more information.

I grew up fishing this lake, i have caught my personal best walleye (6lbs middle of summer), pike(11lbs in the winter) and sunfish(1 lb in the spring)on this lake. So yea it is a very good lake, just get there befire the weeds do in the middle of summer.

I'm hoping to go there the week after the opener. I've only fished it in winter, so it'll be pretty new to me too. I plan on launching in red barn bay...is the mouth of the sauk river big/deep enough to go up a ways in a small boat?

I would not, unless you have a flat bottom boat. There are rocks and other debris in the river. There are is plenty of structure in the lake so i would not worry about going up the river.

Bass, we stay on the lake , It is a great place to get the kids on some panfish.

The lake has a good population of crappies,sunfish,bass and pike.

The walleye fishing has been best for us early in the year.

There are plenty of place's to fish as said before there is all kinds of structure in Sauk.

If you see a green 1850 sportfish give a wave.

Sifty

As good as the fishing may be in the lake...and I hope it is, my curiousity will get the better of me and I'll try to get up the river. But yeah, ever since I looked sauk up on the DNR lakefinder I've wanted to make a trip up there. I did so so there in the winter.

i usually have pretty good luck when i fish sauk. early season and late season always seems to be the best for me when it comes to walleyes, and the rest of the time i catch big bass and northern. right now i have had a really good bite on crappies...its a fun lake so i hope you enjoy it when you get there

Sounds like there is alot of great fishing in this lake. Big bass and some monster pike.

I was looking at a map, looks like a interesting lake with alot of different structure. Its the lake hard to figure out?

I am going up to Sauk this weekend and I have never fished it before. Where would a good place to start for pannies for the wife and son? Where would a good place to start for walleye's??

any info would be greatly appreciated.

Is there any good size pike in sauk lake? do ya just troll the weed edges?

we used to have a cabin on sauk... for pike trol the outer weed edges on the west side of the lakefrom aabout rainbow lodge to the bay just past the rockpile.. If ya like stillfishing for pike set up in that big bay and drown some sucker minnows.. you get alot of bass this way too.. straight across from that bay to the east is Gull point.. you can catch alot of pike off of there stillfishing too but keep an eye on the depth as it drops fairly quickly.. Any more info and Id have to giude ya!! lol anything else ya wanna know gimme a holler and I will be glad to help!! smile.gif

I appreciate the info you gave me. what do ya think is the best spot for pannies and walleyes??

I surely am going to try the areas you gave me. Again I appreciate any info you can give me and thanks for your insight on catchin' the big ones...

You have a great nite and fabulous weekend. laugh.gif

no.. from that very bay I was talking about stay on that side of the lake and keep heading south.. There is what the locals call Hoopers pasture or the sheep pasture... slip bobber some redtails in about 12-17 feet of water for the eyes.. otherwise go back to sauk centre and fish em under the bridge in town where the dam is grin.gif

Actually, the panfish just moved into the shallows. I was out this weekend and almost every sunfish i caught was still full of eggs, so i would look to the shallow bays.

thanks for all the info, this will really come handy this weekend. good luck fishing.